Weekly Updates – February 20
DLIT Staff Reports
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from DLIT staff
- Eric Kunnen
- Attended Deans Council Meeting
- Attended SLT meeting.
- DLIT DAP Planning, writing, editing, submitting.
- Budget request for Bb Collaborate planning, writing, editing, and submitting.
- Worked on faculty and student distance learning survey and sorting through questions from Noel-Levitz Priorities Survey for Online Learners.
- Created student DL survey.
- Created instructor DL survey.
- Edited surveys for DL based on feedback from IRP with feedback from DLIT and DL FAB faculty.
- Gathered student and instructor samples from Peoplesoft for IRP to use for DL surveys.
- Planned Bb Team meeting, however, the meeting was unable to be held without other members of the team.
- Meeting with Bill F on AGC Minimum Use Standards report for Deans and AGC.
- Creating, editing, collecting data for reports for HLC Distance Learning and Online and Hybrid Certification reports for Deans.
- Meeting with Lori C on Peoplesoft listing of online/hybrid courses. One issue is that the drop down says: Web-based (Internet) and not “Online”. Also some online courses require students to come to campus to take a test you need to have this information in the class notes.
The group discussed the following recommendations:
1) Fix Mode of Instruction to say: “Online” and not Web-based on the drop down.
2) Suggest to remove Live Cable TV, Closed Circuit TV and others not used.
3) Class notes should include campus exam requirements, if any for online classes. This needs to occur when instructors are assigned to courses by the department ESPs.
4) Suggest that the Room field indicate “Hybrid Course” instead of online for Hybrid classes.
- Meegan Willi
- Attended Blackboard User Groups Registration Tool webinar. We’ll be using this tool for the upcoming MiBUG conference in April.
- Met with the Online Course Review Committee on 2/14. We reviewed three courses, WE 189, CO 235, and CD 215. The committee sent forth their recommendation for WE 189 and CO 235 to be offered online to Ric on 2/15. We are waiting on a CARP update for CD 215, and then will proceed with a recommendation.
- Facilitated the OHCC, online and at the campus session on 2/15.
- Showed up for the Blackboard Team Meeting on 2/18, but the meeting was not held.
- Met with Lynnae S. regarding the OHCC and weeks 3 and 4, 2/18.
- Met with Carol J. to troubleshoot the grade book, 2/19.
- Met with Lori C., Jose, and Eric to discuss the student registration system and what can be done to clarify the listings for online and hybrid courses and their requirements.
- Prepped for Captioning session on Friday, 2/22.
- Prepped for Creating Accessible Courses and Documents session on 2/23. I’m adding best practices and tips for excel documents to the presentation since I wanted to have this information available when I present this topic to the ESPs in March.
- Collected and distributed all nominations for the Excellence in Teaching with Technology Award which will be announced at the Teaching, Learning, and Technology (TLT) Showcase in March.
- Confirmed three new presentation proposals for the TLT Showcase.
- Helped drop-ins and firstname.lastname@example.org emails with questions on:
- how to unzip assignment files from Blackboard
- how to import and upload an exam from Respondus to Blackboard
- troubleshooting a Relay recording which did not capture the audio
- how to download a gradebook from Blackboard
- exam settings in Blackboard – how students see feedback on essay questions
- requesting a course template
- setting up SafeAssign
- Jose Mora
- Helped faculty and staff with:
- Uploading a word document to blackboard as a test using Respondus
- Change notes in class to state “on campus testing is required.”
- With questions of BB record keeping, such as quizzes, tests, final grades, and attendance for AGC review
- Organizing Facebook page with uploading photos, linking documents, and updating the information
- To make sure BB grade center was setup correctly
- Helped faculty and staff with:
- Helped students with:
- Enrolling in the honors program
- Turning in intake form
- Questions about payment to cashiers
- Enrolled students in courses
- Helped students with:
- Reserved cap for MCCVLC classes
- Open up MCCVLC caped seats on MCCVLC site
- Processed reimbursements
- Reserved hotel for upcoming conferences
- Processed invoices
- Edited Study Away Intake Form
- Ordered TLT Showcase Award
- Ordered food for TLT Showcase
- Made IT request for TLT Showcase technology
- Processed Study Away Intake Forms
- Background and Conduct checks
- Ordered food for event
- Attended USHLI conference
- Attended BB Team Meeting
- Attended Peoplesoft meeting with Lori Cook, Eric Kunnen, and Meegan Willi
- Answered incoming phone calls
- Answered DLIT email
- I am planning to take some online courses at GRCC. I am wondering where can I find the list of the courses that will provide during this coming summer. And, does GRCC transfer the credits to my school(Calvin College) even it it an online courses
- Not sure if you recall, but last semester you were able to change the class notes on Paul and my sections to state that one campus testing is required. I’m not sure why it keeps going away, but I just noticed that our summer sections don’t state that. Could you please add that for us again?
- I am interested in taking online classes since I don’t have time to make it to the campus. I was wondering if you could give me some information on it and how to sign up and just some extra information. I want to continue my education but I don’t necessarily have the time nor the transportation to make it to campus. If you could do that for me I highly appreciate it.
- I was wondering if you offer an online anatomy and physiology class?
- I am enrolling in a biology
class for this summer. I would like to take an online course. How
does the lab work if it is online?
I am enrolling in a biology class for this summer. I would like to take an online course. How does the lab work if it is online?
- I am moving this summer but need to take Calculus 1 and Statistics before September. Are these offered online without having to take exams in the testing center? I know a lot of online classes also have online exams [for example, my government and psych classes], but the hybrid math classes and online chemistry I took did not and I wouldn’t be able to do that since I am moving out of state. I would prefer to take these classes through GRCC rather than at a school I know nothing about in Arizona
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from EOL faculty in the department.
- Lisa Gloege
Online course review committee meeting
Reviewed DLIT DAP document and provided comments
Continued TLT Showcase planning (particularly around award process.)
E-mail discussion on ways to make PeopleSoft registration more clear and student-friendly
- Gary Ebels
- Mursalata Muhammad
- Continued TLT Showcase planning and participant recruitment
- Continued ECP training and review process
- Work with CTE on planning Instructional Technology sessions
- Work with CTE to reschedule Feb. 8, 2013 session cancelled due to inclement weather
- Facilitate CTE Blackboard
- Facilitate ABO (Eric Williams and Andre Fields) use of Blackboard Discussion Boards
- Garret Brand
- Facilitate OHCC online sessions
- Facilitate OHCC campus session
- OHCC Reporting
- Faculty Support
- Review Departmental Plan and provide feedback
- Hours at http://www.editgrid.com/user/gbrand/hours