Weekly Updates – November 20 and 28
DLIT Staff Reports
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from DLIT staff.
- Eric Kunnen
- Donuts with DLIT – Participated in the donuts event with 10 faculty and staff. Here is a recap – https://dlitgroup.wordpress.com/2012/11/16/donuts-with-dlit-november-session/
- ECAR Invitation – Along with Kevin O requested that GRCC participate in 2013 ECAR study. Sent an email to Donna K to include in IRP in process.
- Working with IT Re: Bb Issues – Working with IT to continue to collaborate to ensure the system is operating with a focus on performance and efficiency.
- Participated in a “Blended Learning Best in Class: Making a Difference with Distance Learning” Webinar – Some notes from this webinar include the following: University of Toledo has over 400 coures online with nearly 12,000 students enrolled in online courses. They use Adobe Connect (Bb Collaborate was submitted for a budget request here at GRCC last year) for a “real” experience with students and synchronous activities for live online office hours and lecture sessions. This helps build online community. Also used for discussions and whiteboarding for math equations. Lecture capture tools provide review for absent students or for the ability to listen again to a lecture as well as guest speakers. Capture tools have also been used for the flipped classroom, tutorials, and lectures from guests. 3playmedia is used for accessibility and closed capturing.
- Gmail Meeting – Participated with a team to discuss and brainstorm feature comparisons and parity and tools or functions needed to make the transition.
- ITC Survey Completion – Completed the Instructional Technology Council survey with a thank you to Jose M and Heath C for gathering some of the data.
- SLT – Attended the Strategic Leadership Team meeting. Presented at SLT on the Board of Trustees recap / summary of the Monitoring Report for the Access End.
- DLIT Faculty EOL Meeting – Held a meeting with the EOL DLIT faculty to review semester so far and to make plans for the end of the semester and 2013.
- Teaching Standards Meeting with Gilda and Ric on action steps for surveys. Completed update to document and resubmitted.
- Worked with Jose M to prepare data from Academic Program Review.
- Making Your Self-Produced Videos Web Accessible Webinar – Notes: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s6/sh/33082c5b-0977-434e-948c-c1bd0a9f5c47/723b92a34c5fbf950bc62619cae3726b
- Bb Survey Work – Edited student and faculty survey. Sent to DLIT EOL and IT for feedback. Target deployment November 30th.
- Prepared presentation for Panelist for the MCCVLC Panel on HLC Accreditation. Presented with Ric U and Jackson CC on Tuesday, November 27th at 10:00 am. Here is the webinar description: Learn from two colleges that have completed their substantive change review of their online program. What did they do to prepare? What did they learn during the site visit and what would they encourage others to consider based on their experiences. During this 90 minute webinar representatives from Jackson Community College and Grand Rapids Community College will provide you with practical advice. To register online and get the login information go to: http://tinyurl.com/bnxefty
- IRP Review of Bb Surveys – Sent a request for review of the surveys for Blackboard for faculty and students. Feedback was integrated into final version.
- Updated Clicker Page with Lisa G to add information for faculty teaching in computer labs and the apps available.
- Planned Agenda and Facilitated Bb Team
- Meeting with Apple
- Meegan Willi
- Participated in Donuts and Distance Learning & Blackboard and Bagels on 11/15.
- Facilitated Blackboard Workshop on 11/16 – Adding Videos to Your Blackboard Course.
- Attended the Strengthening Distance-Delivered Education CAP Meeting on 11/16.
- Attended the DLIT & EOL Faculty Meeting on 11/19.
- Met to discuss the DLIT budget with Jose and Eric on 11/19.
- Attended the DL FAB Meeting on 11/19 – we discussed the feedback on the two priorities that Mike & Garry brought before AGC at the October meeting.
- Attended webinar on Making Your Own Videos Accessible on 11/20.
- Attended Blackboard Team Meetings on 11/20 and 11/28.
- Facilitated the Blackboard Open Lab on 11/26 from 11-2.
- Met with Apple Reps. on 11/28.
- Prepping for Blackboard Interactive Rubrics Workshop coming up on 11/30.
- Voted in Blackboard’s Bug Squad for the SP12 voting window.
- Assisted drop-ins with questions on how to close caption a video after it has been published to Camtasia Relay, when will Winter 2013 courses be available, how to create an extra credit assessment in Blackboard, grade center issues, and resizing scroll bar setting to get the scroll bars to show in the Blackboard Gradebook.
- Jose Mora
- Nancy Grossman needed help with setting up groupwise email on iPad.
- Diana Kooistra neened help with setting up her grade center, categories, and weighted columns
- Danny Gellum needed help with deploying test in BB
- Billie Sue Berrends wanted to print her Blackboard grade center
- Asanta Cain needed help with grading
- Aleta Anderson needed help with submitting a LOA form.
- Created new online sections
- Processed reimbursements
- Processed invoices
- Updated public Online Course list
- Gathered Online data for Patti for Academic Program Review
- Attended Webinar
- Attended Blackbord Team meeting
- Answered incoming phone calls
- Answered DLIT email
- My name is Dylan Worst and I am a freshman at Potter’s House High School. I was wondering what you have in courses for TEACHING technology? I would appreciate to hear back ASAP.
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from EOL faculty in the department.
Garry Brand – 8 Hours per Week
- Providing technical assistance to DLIT as it pertains to the Online/Hybrid Certification Course. For example, make recommendations for changes in the OHCC, assist with faculty professional development, review and synthesize data.
- Providing advice about the current state of OHCC and make recommendations for improvements or other changes.
- Making recommendations for changes to distance-delivered education, especially as they pertain to recommendations made by the Higher Learning Commission; assisting with the implementation of those changes.
- Co-facilitating the Online Hybrid Certification Course.
Gary Ebels, Lisa Gloege, and Mursalata Muhammad- 4 Hours Per Week
- Providing faculty professional development with emphasis on instructional technologies to peers.
- Reviewing and synthesizing data about the College’s distance-delivered education program.
- Assisting with the implementation of changes based on those data as well as the recommendations made by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Regularly representing DLIT in campus and community meetings.
- Lisa Gloege
Attended DL FAB meeting (along with some work via e-mail)Attended DLIT team meeting
Staffed BB open hours
Sent e-mail to hybrid instructors to gather information and got quite a few responses that required follow-upCommunicated with i>clicker rep about some issues
- Gary Ebels
- Held open Bb lab hours
- Mursalata Muhammad
- This week I spent 5.25 hours in the following ways:
Attended DLIT Meeting “Fall Feast”
Staffed DLIT Open Lab
Attended DLITFAB meeting
Composed and emailed weekly DLIT report.
- This week I spent 5.25 hours in the following ways:
- Garret Brand
- Blackboard Team Meeting
- Making your Self-Produced Videos Accessible
- Blackboard Team Meeting- Collaboration on Blackboard Building Block
- Camtasia Relay Maintenance Policy
- DLFAB Meeting Notes and Course Menu Defaults
- Proposed Dates for Winter 2013 OHCC
- Benchmarking Survey re: Recertification
- Review MCCVLC DL Administrator Survey
- Faculty Assistance with Online Groups
- Detail at http://www.editgrid.com/user/gbrand/hours