Weekly Updates – October 24
DLIT Staff Reports
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from DLIT staff.
- Eric Kunnen
- Attended ADA CAP Sub-Team meeting on Capacity.
- Met with Garry to work on OHCC presentation and revisions.
- Consolidated stats on online learning and compared data to Bb Analytics.
- Sent Email to Faculty with No Login Since October about the resources available to assist with Bb.
- Bb Analytics Webinar – Participated in a Blackboard Analytics for Learn webinar that covered the tools, features, and capabilities coming soon to GRCC’s Bb Analytics for Learn implementation. There has yet to be a kickoff meeting.
- Invited to Gmail Implementation Team.
- Bb Analytics Training – Covered tools for operational, analytics, strategic use of data. How to use ProClarity, Sharepoint Dashboards, and Sequel Server Reporting System.
- Bb Team Meeting – Prepared agenda, took notes, and facilitated meeting.
- Bb Connect 2 Way Meeting – Met with Mark N and the Connect Team to discuss deployment and readiness for 2 way text messaging implementation for Blackboard.
- Open Blackboard Lab – Deployed Open Bb Lab with Penni W support and logistics.
- AGC Info Email – Send an email to AGC (and Deans) with the latest information for new course approval and review process along with additional distance learning related details.
- Created and Sent DLIT Newsletter – Highlighting recent news about distance learning and instructional technologies for faculty.
- SLT – Provided update on Access End for the proposed changes to the end’s indicators, new projects, and retired projects.
- DL Strategic Plan – Gathered feedback from DL CAP Team for final edits. Added Guidelines for the Evaluation of Distance Education (On-line Learning) HLC standards.
- HLC SIX – Shared with the student services sub-team resources from the MCCVLC about SmarterMeasure which is a readiness check for students. Also sent the archive from the: “Offering Comprehensive Online Student Services at South Texas College” webinar.
- Meegan Willi
- Emailed all faculty online course developers on 10/23 to provide them with the dates for the course review committee’s meetings this Fall (November 8 and December 13) and the deadlines to have courses submitted for each meeting (November 1 and December 6 at 5 PM). I also extended the open offer of instructional design and other support through DLIT.
- CO 122 was resubmitted on 10/22 for review. This course will be reviewed at the 11/8 meeting along with CO 155 and GH 110.
- Lisa G. and I held a drop-in session for all clicker users to talk about what is working and what is not working and get their feedback on topics they would like to see covered in a formal training session as well as FAQs/tutorials they would like to see added to the clicker webpage.
- One request for a tutorial or training on some pedagogical techniques for using clickers in the classroom was identified as a potential training session.
- A tutorial on syncing i>grader with Blackboard grade centers for rostering and exporting grades was requested.
- A video of i>clicker uses where someone actually goes into classes to get footage and interviews faculty to ask how they are using clickers was presented as an idea.
- I created tip sheets with directions on how to get the required integrate files onto the faculty i>clicker flash drives and how to sync rosters and posted links to http://www.grcc.edu/clickers.
- I’ve individually helped six faculty get the integrate files onto their flash drive and get the entire sync process functioning in their i>grader software.
- I attended the Blackboard xpLor beta webinar on 10/23 – this was the seventh session and we covered versioning content items in xpLor.
- I attended the first Capacity Subteam meeting of the ADA CAP on 10/23.
- I attended and took notes at the Blackboard Team Meeting on 10/24.
- I had four individual scheduled meetings with faculty members.
- I created the next First Friday tip, creating a banner for your course. It will automatically send out from Mail Chimp on 11/2.
- Jose Mora
EOL Faculty Reports
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from EOL faculty in the department.
Garry Brand – 8 Hours per Week
- Providing technical assistance to DLIT as it pertains to the Online/Hybrid Certification Course. For example, make recommendations for changes in the OHCC, assist with faculty professional development, review and synthesize data.
- Providing advice about the current state of OHCC and make recommendations for improvements or other changes.
- Making recommendations for changes to distance-delivered education, especially as they pertain to recommendations made by the Higher Learning Commission; assisting with the implementation of those changes.
- Co-facilitating the Online Hybrid Certification Course.
Gary Ebels, Lisa Gloege, and Mursalata Muhammad- 4 Hours Per Week
- Providing faculty professional development with emphasis on instructional technologies to peers.
- Reviewing and synthesizing data about the College’s distance-delivered education program.
- Assisting with the implementation of changes based on those data as well as the recommendations made by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Regularly representing DLIT in campus and community meetings.
- Lisa Gloege
- Open Bb Lab Hours
- Held a clicker users meeting to address questions and share ideas.
- Gary Ebels
- Participated in i>Clicker User Session
- Viewed: Seth Godin – What Are Schools For http://youtu.be/sXpbONjV1Jc
- Enrolled 1 new learner in Blackboard Grade Center Online
- Viewed:Social Media: It’s here and faculty want to use it – Sloan C #ALN12 – http://youtu.be/VKVS47usDiA
- Open Blackboard Lab – Tuesday 3-5PM
- Mursalata Muhammad
- Staffed the Open Lab Monday 11 – 2PM. Served one faculty member
Helped Eric Williams/Andre Fields enroll student in their Bb siteStill working on a liaison plan for DLIT
- Garret Brand
- Reviewed Completion Agenda Responses for ISIS Meeting
- Deans Council Prep and Presentation
- Revise OHCC based on Deans Council feedback
- Blackboard Team Meetings
- Blackboard Analytics Webinar
- MCCVLC Meeting in Second Life
- Assist with Online Course Development
- ADA and Copyright Compliance
- Details on hours at http://www.editgrid.com/user/gbrand/hours
DLIT Tracking Table