Weekly Updates – September 12th
This area includes international, national, regional, state, and local activities.
DLIT Staff Reports
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from DLIT staff that is not included in the work outlined in the Department and College Action Projects area and categories above.
- Eric Kunnen
- Configured Blackboard Voice Tools Browser Checker – Allows students and faculty to ensure the system is working with their PC.
- Attended MQA Category 6 Meeting
- Met with Marne J and Meegan W about online teaching, course review process, exemplary courses and improvement ideas.
- Fixed links on /onlinecourserequest page.
- Atended Retreat for ISIS
- Attended MQA Opening Session
- Attended AX Meeting with Blackboard focused on accessibility of new social features coming in SP10.
- Prepared/sent updated Teaching/Learning Quality Model to Art for September 27th meeting.
- Sent to Bill F, the list of faculty not logging in as of semester start for AGC Bb Minimum.
- Spent time authoring roles for ISIS retreat as feedback is due by Sept 21st.
- Authored Change in Mobile Learn doc for help desk and placed on /bbmobile web site for change to the mobile app for Blackboard.
- Added Anne S and Sarah R to the BB-AX-DESIGN@LISTS.BLACKBOARD.COM listserv for accessibility discussions with Blackboard community of universities and colleges.
- Participated in a MQA interview on PD and Managers
- Attended the xpLor Beta Program kick off Meeting
- Submitted GRCC TODAY ETOM Invitation & Webinar Roadmap
- Attended AGC
- Relayed the Following to the GRCC Analytics Implementation Team as far as data needs for Distance Learning:
We have several reporting needs for dashboards for our area. Some of them are below:
Most of the data needed from our area includes information about distance learning students, faculty, instructor certifications, and tracking of course development. Essentially we are looking for a baseline of data along with the ability to trend and see patterns over time along with the ability to track course development work.
Here are the major categories with information needed by semester with trends and % change per semester/year. Data for face to face is also needed for comparison.
1) Total Enrollment, Unique Students, Courses, Sections
2) Retention (Student Success) vs Face to Face. What are the good courses, what are the bad?
3) Number of instructors teaching online with breakdown of Adjunct vs Full Time.
4) What courses are not currently offered online and who teaches them?
5) How many and what percentage of faculty are certified by date? Compared with all faculty.
6) What percentage of our distance learning program is online classes?
7) What courses and how many have been approved to be developed? How many are currently being developed? What is the status of development?
8) Which students are brand new to online learning (taking their first course)? Who is returning?
- Meegan Willi
- Met with Marne A. and Eric regarding online courses, the development process, and what Marne is experiencing while developing a new course at WMU, 9/6.
- Attended a professional development session on the new Pay for Performance System for Meet & Confer employees on 9/6.
- Attended ISIS Retreat on 9/7 during the morning.
- Prepped for and co-facilitated the Advanced Blackboard session for faculty on 9/7 with Garry Brand.
- Reviewed CO 122.
- Attended Michigan Quality Award meeting on 9/11 related to professional development.
- Met with Nancy G. for one-on-one PowerPoint training for adding animation and transitions to a presentation on 9/11.
- Participated in the first webinar for the Blackboard xpLor Beta program on 9/11. We will be involved in this beta program over the next eleven weeks to test the new content repository system.
- Researched into the exporting of grades from i>clicker to Blackboard on 9/11 to answer some user questions. It is a clunky process, and less automated then initially anticipated. It does not work through the Building Block, only the registration process does.
- Attended Blackboard Team Meeting on 9/12.
- Met with Garry and Eric on 9/12 regarding presentation for the Strategic Leadership Team next week and the OHCC revisions.
- Participated in a Michigan Blackboard User Group (MiBUG) conference call with Tiffany Tooley from Blackboard and Mary Holmes from Ferris on 9/12. I will be leading MiBUG this year with help from Mary Holmes the current leader.
- Submitted votes in Blackboard’s Bug Squad forum. Upcoming wrap up meeting for SP 10 and bug fixes on September 24th.
- Assisted other faculty/staff/student drop ins and submitted tracking forms tohttp://www.grcc.edu/tracking – summary is available here [https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewanalytics?key=0Av8C6IlT6vu-cERzaFRHSFh2Wk1GVDlqY0hVNm1YQmc] –3 faculty (1) question regarding where to go for student help regarding Wimba Voice Tools – IT did not assist a student who was having difficulty accessing some audio posted to Blackboard with Wimba Voice Tools, I sent the Wimba Voice Tool checker and some infromation on to the faculty member to share with her students to help troubleshoot and identify what plug-ins and settings the end user needs on their computer to successfully access the files, (2) some areas and tools were not showing to students – the issue was areas hidden entirely from the student view, (3) disk space error, which turned out to be an application server out of space.
- Jose Mora
- Helped faculty who dropped in with Blackboard questions
- Purchase office supplies
- Processed procard reports
- Attended ISIS retreat
- Attended weekly meeting with Ric and Penni
- Answered incoming phone calls
- Met with Carol Jurgens who needed a software solution to be able to open text document files. She had a personal Macbook Pro which had an older version of Office which is not supported in Lion OS X 10.7. I suggested installing Open Office which is freeware, telling her she could always purchase iWork or Office if she did not like open office. She also had trouble playing videos that she would want to play for her classes. I suggested installing VLC which is, again freeware, used on campus computers. I also suggested using BB Drive based on our conversation. Lastly she posed a question about connecting her Mac to the projector system in classrooms and I gave her a solution to this as well.
- Met with Bertha Chivis about registering her and her students clickers, figuring out the frequency wave for the clickers, and general overview on how to use the system.
- Cindy Gurr had issues with files not opening for her course. It was upload via course copy which was failing; perhaps due to the course no longer being available (according to Mark). With the help of Mark, we ran an export instead and then re-imported the course into her newer course.
- Faculty had “no space” error when uploading documents. Suggested to look at course files and see if there necessary or duplicate files.
- Answered DLIT email
- Online Course registration question. Is it too late to register for online courses?
- I have been unable to sign into my Blackboard account as well as the GRCC wifi network. I do have a login for the Online Student Center that has been working just fine for me, however I’m not sure if the login is the same for the wifi network and Blackboard?
- I am interested in finishing my child developemnt degree or getting my associates. Would like to talk about winter classes.
EOL Faculty Reports
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from EOL faculty in the department.
- Lisa Gloege
- Gary Ebels
- Mursalata Muhammad
- Garret Brand
- Revisions to OHCC
- Assisted with Faculty Drop-Ins
Attended Blackboard Meeting
- Met with Eric and Meegan to Discuss DL CAP
DLIT Tracking Table