Weekly Updates – July 25
This area includes international, national, regional, state, and local activities.
- Online Learning Growth Highlighted in the “Crain’s Detroit Business”, July 9 issue (page 2 of Michigan Briefs) see excerpt below:Western Michigan colleges see growth in enrollment for online classes.Colleges in West Michigan say more students are choosing to matriculate online. The number of Grand Rapids Community College students taking online course grew 13% for the summer semester, The Holland Sentinel reported.Â In response, the school has opened 40 new courses for next year.
Hope College and Grand Valley State University also have seen enrollment growth in online courses, The Sentinel said. The number of Gran Valley students enrolling in online courses and those combining classroom and online instructions has more than doubled in the past five years. Hope has seen a slow increase since 2006, when it started to offering online summer classes.
GRCC Provost Gilda Gely told The Sentinel that online classes typically offer students more flexibility. She and other school administrators say online classes are as rigorous as their classroom versions and sometimes surprise students in that they require self-discipline, time-management skills and accountability just like old-school schooling.
Department Action Projects & College Action Projects
This area includes accomplishments or milestones regarding Departmental and College Action Project(s).
- Project 1 – Extend DL Program
- Project 2 – Enhance Classroom and Instructional Technologies
- Project 3 – Extend Blackboard Learn, Content, Community
- Blackboard Upgrade on Target – August 16th is the go live date for the installation of service pack 8.
- NBC Learn Video Highlights – In the 2 years since GRCC became the first higher education to use NBB Learn, it has grown significantly and is now used in more than 125 Higher Ed institutions and 5,000 + K-12 school districts. From August 2011 to July 2012, GRCC streamed 7,627 resources in Blackboard which ranks 3rd across all Bb institutions that use NBC Learn. 58 videos were downloaded offline for playback without an internet connection.
Other Work within Your Department
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from within the department.
DLIT Staff Reports
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from DLIT staff that is not included in the work outlined in the Department and College Action Projects area and categories above.
- Eric Kunnen
- Attended the ITC Leadership Academy in Minneapolis – Key highlights from the event include: while considered mission critical by administration, many colleges are struggling to find enough staffing and resources to support the work of online learning, there are benefits of implementing Quality Matters with faculty leading the effort of quality, learner intake for online learning needs involvement from admissions and enrollment and orientation teams from across campus, ADA support is needed from disability support offices, faculty evaluation for online learning is an important and challenging component of quality, the larger the enrollment the more centralized the distance learning department becomes with increased staffing to fulfill responsibilities and expectations, “big data” and analytics are now critical, Noel-Levitz offers an online focused satisfaction survey, there are benefits of the master course template model, federal laws around financial aid and student authorization are becoming more visible in the industry, student services are an important part of a student success network with the majority of institutions using live technologies to support tutoring, office hours, advising, and more.
- Prepared Blackboard data with IT for the Deans AGC Bb Report
- Worked on editing a draft of the DL Strategic Plan for Friday’s CAP Meeting
- Meegan Willi
- Participated in OHCC discussion boards, all week.
- Updated OHCC list of certified instructions on the web to match the official list, 7/19.
- Prep for OHCC drop-in, 7/19.
- Followed up with Nicole Rome at i>clicker regarding the new i>clicker software release which includes self-paced testing, 7/20.
- Sent out a draft of a new self-evaluation form for the online course developers to the review committee for edits and suggestions, 7/20. (The result, the team will meet in September to put together a more polished recommendation to send on to the AGC Distance Learning Faculty Advisory Subcommittee.)
- Facilitated the OHCC Drop-In, we had three participants.
- Met with Mary G. regarding the development of GH 110 for online delivery, 7.23. The syllabus, welcome announcement, weekly folders, and welcome letter are complete. Mary will finish up the schedule, contact the publisher regarding online student resources, and gather test bank questions for our next meeting, August 2nd.
- Updated the Official Online Course Development Spreadsheet, 7/24.
- Created a new tutorial recording on Blackboard 9.1 SP 8 wikis for the OHCC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8yQBNfS6kI
- EN 249- a new online course – was submitted for review on 7/25. I forwarded the information to the review team.
- Worked on resources in Blackboard for Summer Technology Institute i>clicker session – added items related to self-paced polling as well as links to previously recorded videos from http://cms.grcc.edu/clickers.
- Assisted other faculty drop ins and submitted tracking forms to http://www.grcc.edu/tracking – summary is available here [https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewanalytics?key=0Av8C6IlT6vu-cERzaFRHSFh2Wk1GVDlqY0hVNm1YQmc] – 4 faculty, (1) question on development for fall – in production environment or pilot?, (2) Respondus – importing test file and exporting to Blackboard, also moving a test from one section to another, (3) SafeAssign – how to add it to a course, and how to assist students, (4) when will Fall courses be on Blackboard (answer 7/27).
- Jose Mora
- Help faculty enroll for CTE training
- Update DL Faculty email group and BB User group with the new certified faculty
- Processed MCCVLC enrollment request
- Gathered MCCVLC enrollment data for current semester
- Working on MCCVLC Tuition Revenue Reconciliation
- Working with IT to try to figure out why I no longer receive emails from the VLC
- Purchased new technology (Swivl) for the office
- Attended OHCC orientation
- Ran honors count
- Processed membership renewal
- Worked with directors to try to keep them ahead of their reports and DAP
- Updated OHCC spreadsheet with current semester drops
- Working with outside vendor to purchase customised swad for raider rally and STI
- Answered DLIT email:
- What programs are available primarily through online courses.
- I am moving to the Grand Rapids area this September for my job.I am look ing at taking some classes part time and have questions about the application and admission process.Can I apply and submit all of my information without having to visit the campus? I saw there may be a placement exam, so I am wondering if I would have to come to Grand rapids to take that exam. Any information you can give me would be very helpful. I am looking to take part-time online classes for the fall semester, and I have taken some classes at a community college in Iowa.I am submitting my transcripts to be sent ot you from there tomorrow. Do you also need my high school transcripts?
- If I were to take courses for Business Administration, are any of those offered online by chance? I am a single mother that works full time so I’m trying to see if there would be any relief in the program where I could participate in online courses from time to time when available.
- Can you please send me a course catalog and/or info on the BA program via email or mailed.
EOL Faculty Reports
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from EOL faculty in the department.
- Lisa Gloege
- Gary Ebels
- Garret Brand
- OHCC Facilitation
- Drop and Template Questions
- Revising Resources Area for Fall 2012
- Summer Technology Prep (Day 2 – Advanced)
- Detail on hours at http://www.editgrid.com/user/gbrand/hours.
DLIT Tracking Table