Weekly Updates – May 11
The following updates are from the DLIT Department for the week ending May 11th.
This area includes international, national, regional, state, and local activities.
Department Action Projects & College Action Projects
This area includes accomplishments or milestones regarding Departmental and College Action Project(s).
- Project 1 – Extend DL Program
- Project 2 – Enhance Classroom and Instructional Technologies
- Project 3 – Extend Blackboard Learn, Content, Community
Other Work within Your Department
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from within the department.
DLIT Staff Reports
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from DLIT staff that is not included in the work outlined in the Department and College Action Projects area and categories above.
- Eric Kunnen
- DLIT and Eric Kunnen mentioned in AACC Journal Article: https://dlitgroup.wordpress.com/2012/05/07/dlit-mentioned-in-aacc-community-college-journal/
- Submitted Request to join 2012 Accessibility Partner Program with Blackboard
- Participated in ISIS Directors Meeting – Budget review process begins: grcc.edu/finance
- Facilitated BA183 Approval Process – This was approved by the Deans Sub-committee for development.
- Started a web page for clicker project: http://cms.grcc.edu/clickers
- Began Budget Process Review Work
- Course Review Meeting – Met with MW, Bill Faber about the course review process and committee. The team for now includes Luann Keizer, Meegan Willi, and Lisa Gloege and will likely include Gary Ebels and Mursalata Muhammad in the interim. Bill will help to tie to college service opportunity and portfolio and assist in recruiting more faculty participation. Plan to have a 2 semester term that is staggered. 5 total members is the target.
- Course Processes Meeting with RU and AK – Work has begun to review payment period for faculty developing online courses.
- Participated in a Webinar: Behind the Scenes: Blackboard’s Focus on User Experience which dealt with new UI features coming in SP8.
- Participated in a Webinar: Product enhancement request brainstorming/discussion to talk about the BIE Steering Committee’s role in suggestions that are submitted by the user community.
- Participated in the Bb Team Meeting – Key topics included SP8 upgrade and pilot work.
- Meegan Willi
- Supported the Blackboard Basics session and OHCC Orientation session on May 4th.
- Met with Eric Williams, Jose Mora, and Terry Simmons regarding Blackboard questions on May 4th.
- Met with Terry Simmons on May 7th for training on creating Assignments in Blackboard.
- Met with Vicki Meyers to help with editing an existing Camtasia Relay recording in Camtasia Studio.
- Met with Eric, Garry and Bill Faber to talk about the Online Course Review Team and how to increase participation and recruit more members on May 9th.
- Attended and posted notes from Blackboard Team Meeting on May 9th. https://dlitgroup.wordpress.com/2012/05/09/blackboard-team-meeting-may-9/
- Met with Penni to update Online Course Files on May 9th.
- Joined the GRCC Gmail Pilot on May 9th.
- Met with Eric and Garry to discuss the coordination and facilitation of the current OHCC cohort on May 9th.
- Assisted other faculty drop ins and emails and submitted tracking forms to http://www.grcc.edu/tracking– 10 faculty with questions on adding students to an organization, updating discussion threads in Blackboard to change author from anonymous, turning on Mark Reviewed in Blackboard, Grade Center questions, and Camtasia Relay issues – not getting the ability to trim at the of a recording.
- Jose Mora
- Processes transcript request for MCCVLC students
- Posted MCCVLC students grades on the website
- Setup various meetings
- Processes remaining honors contract designations
- Began working on Cheryl’s Flight and Hotel for BBWorld; need LOA
- Began working with IT to find query fix for Service Learning messages – requires too much customization and a project request form. We decided to not proceed.
- Worked with Bryan to create new queries for students whom meet certain GPA requirements
- Working on letter/email to market online courses to honor students – this is due to the data that Frank Conner provided about lower performing students enrolling more often in our online courses and how it skews retention data. Hopefully we can target all higher performing students, not just honors. This will serve a dual purpose, recruiting potential honor and online students.
- Assisted webinar for Kriterion – possible solution to online testing and proctoring which ties to one of HLC suggestions. I will be setting up a webinar for all of DLIT for group input.
- Began work on Procard report
- Answered DLIT email
- I need to contact about utilizing Grand Rapids Community College as a home institution, so that I may take an online class through the Michigan Community Colleges portal. I need to know how to proceed.
- I am a student looking to save some money and take an online Humanities class that I could transfer to Kendall to fulfill my requirements to graduate by Spring 2013. I’m not sure where to find these classes or which ones would transfer but I need any “Humanities Elective: 100-400 level courses”.
- I am a past student at GRCC and am interested in doing an on-line course this summer. What steps do I need to take to get to the point where I can register for the class I want? I’m not sure where to start -or who I should be contacting.
- I was wondering how the online courses actually work. I am enrolled for Child Psychology online for this summer starting next month and I was just wondering if there was an online portal I need to know about or if the teacher will email the class or anything.
EOL Faculty Reports
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from EOL faculty in the department.
- Lisa Gloege – Working with Ann and DLIT Team to establish summer sessions. Focusing on clickers.
- Gary Ebels – Working with Ann and DLIT Team to establish summer sessions
- Garret Brand – http://www.editgrid.com/user/gbrand/hours
DLIT Tracking Table