Weekly Updates – May 4
The following updates are from the DLIT Department for the week ending May 4th.
This area includes international, national, regional, state, and local activities.
- SP8 Office Hours Conference Call Held
- Final Bb A4L (Analytics for Learn) Conference Call Held
Department Action Projects & College Action Projects
This area includes accomplishments or milestones regarding Departmental and College Action Project(s).
- Project 1 – Extend DL Program
- CO246 was recommended by the Online Course Review Committee and was approved for offering online.
- OHCC Begins on Friday
- Project 2 – Enhance Classroom and Instructional Technologies
- Project 3 – Extend Blackboard Learn, Content, Community
- Bb SP8 Pilot Continues
Other Work within Your Department
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from within the department.
DLIT Staff Reports
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from DLIT staff that is not included in the work outlined in the Department and College Action Projects area and categories above.
- Eric Kunnen
- Authored OHCC Post Highlighting Newly Certified Faculty – https://dlitgroup.wordpress.com/2012/04/26/congratulations-to-grccs-newly-online-certified-faculty/
- Authored post about Cheryl’s Blackboard Exemplary Course Award – https://dlitgroup.wordpress.com/2012/04/26/congratulations-to-professor-cheryl-kautz-blackboard-exemplary-course-award-winner/
- Bb SP8 – Faculty support and monitoring of system for issues. Submitted tickets along with MN to Bb support.
- A4L Field Trial Closing Meeting – Over 100 requests and enhancements were submitted.
Schools involved in field trial program included: Montgomery County CC, Grand Rapids CC, University of Maryland of Baltimore County
- Bb SP8 Office Hours Support Call – Discussed with the Bb community common issues and best practices in the deployment of SP8. This work is connected to our pilot going on now.
- Submitted Project Request for iTunes U via the PMO Office
- ETOM Board Meeting – Participated in an ETOM meeting about the upcoming Spring and Fall conferences.
- Lunch with Chris Etesse SVP Blackboard of Student Services
- Worked with MW on researching status and tracking course development for online.
- Held FIRST EOL Faculty Meeting with New Faculty for 12-13 (Ann Alexander, Garry Brand, Lisa Gloege, Gary Ebels, Eric Kunnen, and Jose Mora attended) Outlined needs for summer to include (with Ann lead coordinator for this work):
2) Summer Technology Institute
3) Bb Basics and Grade Center Online Session and On Campus Facilitators
4) Other sessions related to Dropins, Blackboard, Relay, or other?
- Edited pages for Teaching Online /dlresources
- SP8 Ongoing Maintenance and Followup with Instructors on Tickets
- Requested funds for Cheryl to attend BbWorld to Receive the Bb Exemplary Award and Present in a Session
- Provided deans with the “top 8 from DLIT list”1) Online Enrollment Increases & Stats
2) Teaching Online @ GRCC Web Page
3) UDL – Universal Design Web Page
4) OHCC Course Begins (Friday with 20 Registered)
5) OHCC Ends (Last Friday with 12 Certified Faculty)
6) Cheryl Kautz – Blackboard Exemplary Course Award Winner Highlighted
7) Bb Pilot of Service Pack 8 Begins Notice
8) DLIT EOL Faculty Begin! (Welcome new team!)
- Meegan Willi
- Met with Jianchu Chen on April 26th, this was our first meeting regarding the development of PL 202 for online delivery. Jianchu will be developing this course over the summer.
- Met with Mary Godfrey on April 26th to help her update and prepare an online course for this summer. The course was developed by her colleague, and she was using the template for the first time.
- The Online Course Review Committee met on May 2nd and completed the review for CO 246. This course was officially approved that day for online delivery.
- Updated the DLIT Online Development Master Excel file – emailed faculty who did not have semesters listed for development to get a status update. Assisted Penni and Eric with housekeeping around course developments such as what courses have been paid for development but are still outstanding, and what courses have been finished and approved.
- Met with the Summer DLIT EOL Faculty for a kick-off meeting on May 2nd.
- Assisted other faculty drop ins and emails and submitted tracking forms to http://www.grcc.edu/tracking– 11 faculty regarding the Grade Center, SafeAssign downloads, sharing tests, Camtasia Relay, how to get a new course template created, linking to an organization, and Summer No Show Policy.
- Jose Mora
- Participated in commencement as Honor Marshall
- Attended Annual Employee Recognition
- Worked with Foundation Office for the possibility of creating a scholastic based scholarship
- Attended Project Management meeting
- Video recorded video for Klass Kwant for South High Scholarship Alumi event
- Archived various documents: community partner agreements, Honors Contracts, Service Learning time sheets
- Designate honors designation for students whom completed honors contract
- Processed reimbursements
- Met with Derek to prepare for DLIT marketing campaign
- Working with printing, Amanda, to produce marketing materials
- Spoke with Criterion representative about the services they provide
- Answered DLIT email:
- I was looking to take a few courses through GRCC online this summer, and I don’t know if these courses are available online
- I’m enrolled in Summer semester, which starts Monday, and I still have no courses added in to my blackboard. I was just confused and concerned about why that is?
- I need help deciding a major. I have a lot of questions, just don’t know where to start.
- I am interested in the Information Security – Computer and Information Systems Security (CIP Code 11.1003) program. Is there a timeline for the fully online course to go live?
- Student Worker
EOL Faculty Reports
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from EOL faculty in the department.
- Lisa Gloege
- Kickoff Meeting with DLIT
- Gary Ebels
- Kickoff Meeting with DLIT
- Garret Brand
- Kickoff Meeting with DLIT
- 12 DLIT Hours – http://www.editgrid.com/user/gbrand/hours
DLIT Tracking Table