Weekly Updates – March 7
The following updates are from the DLIT Department for the week ending March 7th.
This area includes international, national, regional, state, and local activities.
- ADMIN PDP for Institutional Surveys – DLIT attended a conference call held by Bb to discuss Enterprise Surveys & Course Evaluations and how we accomplish this at our institution today. The focus was to learn more about who needs to create and send enterprise surveys; what kind of reporting is needed for these surveys and what are the must have elements within this kind of functionality. Blackboard plans to deliver this functionality in an upcoming release at no extra charge.
- EDUCAUSE Horizon Report Webinar – This session focused on The Horizon Report in Action: Emerging Technologies Today and Tomorrow. Malcolm Brown and Veronica Diaz of the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative discussed what’s new in mobiles, electronic books, learning analytics, and other emerging technology areas as they review the annual publication of the Horizon Report.
- Product Roadmap 2012 for Blackboard – DLIT attended a roadmap session on the future of Blackboard and it’s new features that will include social learning, institutional surveys, and more!
Department Action Projects & College Action Projects
This area includes accomplishments or milestones regarding Departmental and College Action Project(s).
- Project 1 – Extend DL Program
- DL Strategy Plan Draft – More info under Eric’s updates below.
- Project 2 – Enhance Classroom and Instructional Technologies
- Project 3 – Extend Blackboard Learn, Content, Community
- Work has begun to pilot SP8 (the latest service pack from Blackboard) during the summer session.
Other Work within Your Department
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from within the department.
DLIT Staff Reports
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from DLIT staff that is not included in the work outlined in the Department and College Action Projects area and categories above.
- Eric Kunnen
- Distance Learning Strategy Plan – Began writing a strategy plan for the first draft for the DL CAP team. The DL CAP team will finalize the draft.
- Bb Exemplary Course Program (ECP) – Wrote a blog post to highlight Grace Schwanda and Cheryl Kautz in their work to submit their course to the ECP: https://dlitgroup.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/grcc-professors-participate-in-the-blackboard-exemplary-course-award-program/
- Bb Learn NBC Highlights Blog Post – Wrote a blog post to highlight usage stats of NBC Learn: https://dlitgroup.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/nbc-learn-video-content-in-blackboard/
- DLIT & IT Meeting – Eric and David A met to discuss a wide array of projects such as: SP8, IT Accessibility, SLA, DBA position interviews, Starfish Connect, Bb Analytics and more.
- BbWorld – Sent an invitation to IT to request their attendance at BbWorld’12!
- Analytics Standing Meeting for A4L – Mark N, David A, and Eric K attended a conference call that is part of on ongoing standing meeting during the field trial of Analytics for Learn. These meetings are intended to learn more about the features of A4L as well as to provide feedback into the future of the product.
- ETOM Board Meeting – Participated in a board meeting that focused on the following topics: Higgins Lake, Trends Conference, and the Fall Conference (Garry Brand will be delivering the keynote for this event.)
- Meegan Willi
- Clicker committee met and voted unanimously on a recommendation. I will be presenting at AGC with Lisa Gloege on March 13th to present the recommendation.
- Attended and submitted notes for the Blackboard Team Meeting, March 1st.
- Attended Project Management meeting on March 5th.
- Online Course Development:
- Two courses have been submitted for the March review, the deadline was March 6th.
- I reviewed CO 246 and BA 101 in preparation for the March 13th meeting.
- Updated DL CAP Project List – Curriculum & Instruction Theme.
- Met with Lynnae Selberg to discuss how Academic Success Workshops could be offered in Blackboard, March 6th.
- Jose Mora
- Attended Learning Day for ESPs.
- Opened registration for MCCVLC students.
- Setup budget meeting for DLIT.
- Answered a few emails on the topic of: resetting passwords, faculty who don’t respond, confusion about start dates, class offerings.
- Student Worker
- Spring Break
EOL Faculty Reports
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from EOL faculty in the department.
- Luann Keizer
- Spring Break
- Tim Koets
- Spring Break
- Garret Brand
- Spring Break
DLIT Tracking Table