Weekly Updates – Feb 24
The following updates are from the DLIT Department for the week ending Feb 24th.
This area includes international, national, regional, state, and local activities.
- Webinar on Bb 9.1 SP8 – DLIT Attended the Blackboard 9.1 Service Pack 8 Virtual Office Hours webinar to prepare for GRCC’s summer pilot of SP8.
- BIE Steering Committee – Eric Kunnen participated in the BIE Steering Committee Meeting to discuss future plans of the steering committee for the next year. The committee plans to meet face to face at this year’s BbWorld conference in New Orleans.
Department Action Projects & College Action Projects
This area includes accomplishments or milestones regarding Departmental and College Action Project(s).
- Project 1 – Extend DL Program
- DL Student Survey Results – This survey was cleaned up and prepared for the DL FAB (Faculty Advisory Board).
- Project 2 – Enhance Classroom and Instructional Technologies
- Project 3 – Extend Blackboard Learn, Content, Community
- Blackboard Team Meeting – Work is ongoing to prepare a server for GRCC’s pilot of SP8 for the summer session. Live courses will be running during this pilot in preparation for a Fall upgrade.
Other Work within Your Department
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from within the department.
DLIT Staff Reports
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from DLIT staff that is not included in the work outlined in the Department and College Action Projects area and categories above.
- Eric Kunnen
- DLIT Department Planning – Finalized and prepared budget requests for DLIT for 12-13.
- Prepared report with IT for DEANS Council on AGC Minimum Use Standard for Blackboard.
- Attended the Blackboard 9.1 SP8 Office Hours webinar to prepare for GRCC’s summer pilot of SP8.
- Spent Vacation in Orlando.
- Participated in a BIE (Blackboard Idea Exchange) Steering Committee Meeting.
- Worked with Jose to organize and finalize logistics and need for the Donuts with DLIT day on Feb 22nd.
- Worked to clean up the negative and specific instructor comments in the DL survey by removing specific names. This survey was cleaned up and prepared for the DL FAB (Faculty Advisory Board).
- Meegan Willi
- Online Course Developments
- Met with Winona Hartney on 2/16 to discuss progress on development of DXX 115.
- I’m seeing more of a variety in course development, even among courses that are part of a fully online degree. Given comments we have had in the past from student surveys, as well as observations made during the HLC visit, as we develop more fully online courses, it would help to have some standard navigation and organization to make the student experience a positive and successful one.
- Took minutes at the Blackboard Team Meeting on 2/16: https://dlitgroup.wordpress.com/2012/02/16/blackboard-team-meeting-february-16-2012/
- AGC Clicker Work: Clickers are available in 125 Main this week for faculty to stop by, see the clickers, and give their feedback. http://grcctoday.wordpress.com/2012/02/20/help-choose-our-campus-clicker-standard/
- OHCC: Attended the final presentations on 2/17. Viewing recorded presentations 2/22 to provide feedback.
- Attended ISIS Meeting on 2/17
- Online Course Developments
- Jose Mora
- Attended Donuts & Bagels
- Reconciled budgets
- Processed reimbursements
- Answered student DLIT e-mail
- Helped walk-in faculty.
- Student Worker
- Took blackboard survey
- Helped in processing and managing various documents
- Helped in moving multimedia from one location to another
- Added contact hours on MCCVLC site
- Searched for faculty email addresses from survey while also scanning through the document for feedback.
EOL Faculty Reports
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from EOL faculty in the department.
- Luann Keizer
- Assisted faculty and submitted tracking forms to http://www.grcc.edu/.
- Hosted Blackboard, Bagels, Donuts and Distance Learning.
- Assisted faculty within CO dept
- Conducted Collaborate virtual field trip
- Facilitated Blackboard Basics training and have the bruises to show for it.
- Registered one, completed one in Blackboard Basics online course.
- Tim Koets
- Garret Brand
- Assisted faculty and submitted tracking forms to http://www.grcc.edu/tracking.
- Facilitated Week Five of OHCC and assisted with final presentations.
- Assisted various faculty who dropped into 125 Main.
- Participated in Blackboard Team Meeting.
- Cat conversations increasing again (Eric back from vacation).
- Assisted faculty within Business Department.
- Attended e-Learning Conference in Long Beach (blog posts to follow). See http://www.flickr.com/photos/barrydahl/6772869378/in/photostream.
- Attended Blackboard, Bagels, Donuts and Distance Learning.
- Attended Webinar on “Building Interactive Articles for Peer-Reviewed Journals with SoftChalk.”
- Attended ISIS Meeting on Friday, February 22..
DLIT Tracking Table