Weekly Updates – December 9
The following updates are from the DLIT Department for the week ending December 9th.
This area includes international, national, regional, state, and local activities.
- GRCC Highlighted by Blackboard – GRCC was highlighted for work using the Blackboard Open Database Initiative. The college has leveraged the open database in the development of Project ASTRO ($25,000 grant that GRCC received with Seneca College in Toronto) and the bbStats Blackboard Building Block written by Szymon Machajewski.
- SP8 PDP – DLIT participated in the Service Pack 8 kickoff meeting. This new release will be evaluated for standards and outcome reporting that are new features that will be offered. These features connect with the program review work being facilitated by Patti Trepkowski.
- Relay 4 Meeting – DLIT participated in the Relay 4 webinar and conference call. This new version has support for: 1. Webcam (this is a HUGE request from faculty), 2. YouTube publishing, 3. Global Caption Editor (ability to assign someone the role of editing closed captioning), and 4. Support for Office 2010-2011.
- ETOM Board Meeting – Eric Kunnen participated in the ETOM Board meeting. Fall and Spring conferences were discussed as well as standard meeting topics including the president’s report and financials.
Department Action Projects & College Action Projects
This area includes accomplishments or milestones regarding Departmental and College Action Project(s).
- Project 1 – Extend DL Program
- DL Data – Overall campus enrollment is down -7.4% while enrollment in online courses has grown by 21% between Winter 2011 to 2012. GRCC has also passed the 5,000 student enrollment mark making this the largest distance learning semester to date. Full speed ahead for online!
- Student Readiness Survey – Garry Brand and Meegan Willi are working on enhancing GRCC’s student readiness survey. An email was sent to several faculty & staff, including Frank Conner to bring in the student research to help inform a more effective readiness form.
- MTEC Meeting – Meegan Lillis and Eric Kunnen met with Doug Wiersma, George Waite, and Chad Lodenstein on possibilities to bring an apprentice and auto class online.
- Measuring Student Satisfaction with Online Learning – Eric Kunnen will be attending a webinar through the MCCVLC on student surveys on Thursday.
- DL FAB – The first ever faculty advisory board meeting was held. See: http://www.grcc.edu/dlfab Meegan Lillis faciliated along with Garry Brand.
- New DL Courses Approved – Eric Kunnen and Meegan Lillis facilitated Deans Council approval for FR102, BA172, BA174 (There are now 32 courses in the development queue.)
- Project 2 – Enhance Classroom and Instructional Technologies
- Relay 4 Meeting – DLIT attended a conference call on the new features coming in version 4.
- Project 3 – Extend Blackboard Learn, Content, Community
- Blackboard Team Meeting – Agenda topics include: Relay 4, W’12 Course Readiness, iTunes U, SafeAssign Issues, and other topics. Minutes here: https://dlitgroup.wordpress.com/2011/12/07/blackboard-team-meeting-december-7/
- Blackboard Collaborate Kickoff – A meeting will be held on Friday with Blackboard to plan the Winter Bb Collaborate pilot.
Other Work within Your Department
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from within the department.
- EOL Meeting – Garry Brand, Meegan Willi, Diane Sparks, and Luann Keizer met to work on equated overload coordination for the end of the semester and the beginning of winter.
DLIT Staff Reports
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from DLIT staff that is not included in the work outlined in the Department and College Action Projects area and categories above.
- Eric Kunnen
- Updated the following DLIT web pages: 1) Online Course Request, 2) Teaching Online, 3) Teaching with Technology, 4) DLIT Home Page, 5) Distance Learning for Students, 6) TLT Showcase, 7) Distance Learning Faculty Advisory Board, and 8) Summer Technology Institute.
- DL CAP team meeting preparation.
- Gathered data and prepared a PPT presentation for Deans Council on a MCCVLC Update.
- Preparation work for Friday’s Donuts with DLIT event.
- Met with Julie Hess to discuss and provide an overview of the DL CAP as she is a newer member of the team.
- Meegan Willi
- 1. Attended Curriculum Meeting with Elaine Kampmueller, Sarah Krajewski, and Patti Trepkowski on December 1.2. Met with Faculty and the Department Head from Computer Applications to talk about the process of developing online courses for their new online degree on December 1.
3. Met one-on-one with a faculty member for Respondus training on December 2.
4. Attended meeting with EOL Faculty regarding scheduling training offerings and drop-ins for Winter 2012 on December 2.
5. Co-facilitated initial meeting of the AGC Issue Clicker Team on December 2.
6. Touched based with Eric Kunnen (TWIDLIT) on December 5.
7. Facilitated Blackboard Interactive Rubrics Session for 6 attendees on December 5.
8. Department visit – Auto and Construction – at Tassel M-TEC December 5.
9. Participated in Bb Learn SP8 Upgrade webinar on December 6.
10. Facilitated first Distance Learning Faculty Advisory Board Meeting on December 6.
11. Met one-on-one with a faculty member to assist in setting up an assessment in Blackboard on December 7.
12. Attended Blackboard Team Meeting on December 7. See minutes here https://dlitgroup.wordpress.com/2011/12/07/blackboard-team-meeting-december-7/
13. Emailed Faculty who attended the Exemplary Online Course Development sessions in October to encourage them to submit a course to the Blackboard Exemplary Course Award.
14. Contacted clicker vendors for the clicker team work.
15. Prepping for Blackboard Collaborate Pilot – contacting faculty for a meeting in December to discuss details.
16. Updated my email address and bio page on the DLIT website.
17. Worked with Jose Mora on logistics and travel plans for Instructional Technology Council Conference on February.
18. Updated Online Course Development Form – initiated contact with 4 newly approved courses and their course developers.
19. Updated DL CAP planning document in preparation for meeting.
20. Assisted faculty and submitted tracking forms to: http://www.grcc.edu/tracking
- Jose Mora
- Student Worker
EOL Faculty Reports
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from EOL faculty in the department.
- Luann Keizer
- Facilitated great session on Voice Tools and BB IM- 8 people in attendance and much enthusiasm for tools. 1.5 hrs
IM/Office hours session with Computer Application faculty- 1.0 hr
2012 Strategy session with DLIT staff -1.5 hr
Reviewed revised courses with recent OHCC participants-1.25 hr
Outlined revised Blackboard Basics Online course; determined new videos and content -1.5 hours
Please note trend for BB Online is growing. Peaks occur prior to OHCC sessions starting however enrollment is steady. Considering development of BB IM/Office hours online session.
- Tim Koets
- 1. Facilitated Blackboard Grade Center Training session (1 hour) on Dec 1.
2. Facilitated Blackboard Assessments Training session (1 hour) on Dec. 7.
3. Assisted faculty and submitted tracking forms to: http://www.grcc.edu/tracking
- Garret Brand
- 1. Participated in “Donuts and Distance Learning & Blackboard and Bagels” on November 16. See:http://cms.grcc.edu/donuts2. Attended Blackboard Team Meeting on November 16. See:https://dlitgroup.wordpress.com/2011/11/16/blackboard-team-meeting-november-16-2011/
3. Attended MCCVLC Webinar Series – Online Developmental Education on November 18. See blog post at:
4. Created OHCC section for Winter 2012 in Blackboard. Also, loaded instructor and course builders.
5. Updated OHCC syllabus and schedule in Drupal. See:
6. Met with co-presenters to begin preparing for Faculty Learning Day session. See:
7. Attended Blackboard Team Meeting on November 30. See:
8. Attended meeting re: HLC visit facilitated by JCC and supported by MCCVLC on November 17.
9. Worked with DLIT Team to clean-up the Blackboard Content System in the Institutional area on November 18.
10. Attended Curriculum Specialist Interview on November 28.
11. Attended Relay 4 webinar on December 7.
12. Facilitated meeting with DLIT and EOL Faculty on December 2.
13. Attended first DL Faculty Advisory Board meeting on December 6.
14. Assisted faculty and submitted tracking forms to: