Weekly Updates – November 11
The following updates are from the DLIT Department for the week ending November 4th.
This area includes international, national, regional, state, and local activities.
- National Distance Learning Week – This week is… National Distance Learning Week. A GRCC Today post highlights the week with promotion for online certification and new course development. See: http://grcctoday.wordpress.com/2011/11/07/national-distance-learning-week-11711/
- Sloan-C – Eric Kunnen is attending the 17th Annual Sloan-C International Conference on Online Learning this week. He will be blogging (dlitgroup.wordpress.com and ekunnen.posterous.com) and tweeting (#aln2011) during the event.
- ADA Workshop – Jose Mora attended an ADA workshop last week sponsored by the MCCVLC. GOALS Workshop hosted by MCCVLC. The workshop aimed at showing the concern that many Institutions web presence Is not open to all, especially to students with disabilities. Most of the discussion was around campus websites being accessible.
- miBUG – Mark Nordblom, Meegan Willi, Jose Mora, and Garry Brand will be attending the Michigan Blackboard Users Group Conference on Friday at Davenport.
- Webinar – DLIT attended the “Online Learning – Will the Growth Continue” webinar through the USDLA organization. This was provided for National Distance Learning Week and had over 150 participants nationwide. Presenter: Todd Hitchcock, SVP-Pearson Learning Solutions focused on Online Learning and Blended Learning in Higher Education & K-12. Board member of iNACOL & USDLA
Department Action Projects & College Action Projects
This area includes accomplishments or milestones regarding Departmental and College Action Project(s).
- Project 1 – Extend DL Program
- Online Labs and Assessments – Meeting to discuss assessment strategies for exams (not held face to face) and online laboratories with Laurie Foster and Garry Brand.
- Bb Collaborate – A pilot will be occurring this Winter semester for the Collaborate solution. This is a synchronous technology that is being used by such colleges as GVSU, Calvin, and Davenport. GRCC will be investigating it’s use pedagogically for online courses via the DL CAP as well as for training via the Professional Development CAP as well as for meeting.
- DL CAP Theme Leaders – Each theme leader is working this week during our regularly scheduled meeting to finalize the task list and establish deadlines. The themes and leaders are listed here:
Theme: Planning, Administration, and Budget Leader: Eric with Heath and Jim Theme: Curriculum and Instruction Leader: Meegan with Garry and Pat Theme: Students and Support Leader: Amanda and Jose with Eric M Theme: Infrastructure, Identity, Security, and Support Leader: Dave with Mark and Eric Theme: Faculty & Support Leader: Garry with Meegan Theme: Data, Analytics, Evaluation, and Assessment Leader: Heath with Jose
- Project 2 – Enhance Classroom and Instructional Technologies
- Classroom Microphones – Mark Vogel is planning to implement a new microphone technology to make it more easy and effective to capture classroom audio with Camtasia Relay. He is working with a few instructors to identify locations as well as planning to install the system in 351M, Snedan Learn Labs, and within specific classrooms for the instructors that use Relay most frequently.
- Project 3 – Extend Blackboard Learn, Content, Community
- Blackboard Team Meeting – A meeting on Wednesday will provide updates to current issues as well as working on the Bb Collaborate pilot details and status on patches on the test server.
- Field Trial – GRCC is investigating the deployment of a field trial for Bb Analytics for Learn.
Other Work within Your Department
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from within the department.
- Several recent blog posts were added to the dlitgroup.wordpress.com blog: ECAR https://dlitgroup.wordpress.com/2011/11/04/ecar-report-highlights/ and BbWorld conference proposals are being accepted: https://dlitgroup.wordpress.com/2011/11/04/bbworld-2012-call-for-proposals-now-open/ and National Distance Learning Week: https://dlitgroup.wordpress.com/2011/11/04/celebrating-national-distance-learning-week-at-grcc/
EOL Faculty Reports
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from EOL faculty in the department.
- Luann Keizer
- Taught BB Basics 11/4- 2.0 hours
Facilitated OHCC2 section- 4.0 hours
- Tim Koets
- 1. Provided Blackboard Grade Center Training Course Wednesday morning
2. Facilitated OHCC (1.5 hours)
3. Assisted faculty with several face-to-face sessions
4. Assisted faculty and submitted tracking forms to: http://www.grcc.edu/tracking
- Garret Brand
- Participated in Blackboard Team Meeting.
- Facilitated OHCC (6.0 hours)
- Drop-in Grade Center session.
- Beginning to work with Apple Education rep (will be meeting with her soon).
- Coordinated support for adjunct training.
- Created new Google+ page for DLIT.
- Created Blog post on the Creative Use of Wimba Voice Tools.
- Met with faculty member regarding development of online course.
- Collaborated on Bb Collaborate project and page.
- Assisted faculty and submitted tracking forms.