Weekly Updates – October 14
The following updates are from the DLIT Department for the week ending October 14th.
This area includes international, national, regional, state, and local activities.
- ETOM Invitation to Ferris – Jose Mora invited Ferris faculty to ETOM.
- ETOM GRCC Attendees – Laurie Foster, Brent Spitler, Lisa Gloege, Eric Kunnen, Meegan Lillis, Szymon Machajewski, Garry Brand, Gary Ebels, Jeff Neuman are planning to attend. Szymon and Gary are presenting.
- PDP meeting for Blackboard Analytics for Learn – Eric Kunnen participated in a conference call about new reporting features coming in Bb Learn. Potential exists for leveraging new reporting features for the AGC minimum use standard.
- Administrator PDP – GRCC was invited and selected among a small group of colleges to participate in the Administrator Product Development Partnership (PDP). This will focus on new features coming in SP8 and beyond. Noteworthy SP8 enhancements are related to the college’s program review work around standards, rubrics, and outcomes.
- Bb Community Conference call – Eric Kunnen participated on a call with Blackboard on community engagement, listservs, and connections.blackboard.com.
Department Action Projects & College Action Projects
This area includes accomplishments or milestones regarding Departmental and College Action Project(s).
- Project 1 – Extend DL Program
- Student Voices Project – Jose Mora worked to completed student voices project. This provides student testimonials about DL on the DLIT web page.
- DL Trend Data – Jose Mora is working on gathering online course data from 2000.
- DL CAP Team – The team will meet on Thursday to review tasks and timelines. Leaders were picked that cover themes that match to the HLC standards.
- DL Suggestions Form – A form was created and posted to the BB.ORIENT site in Bb so online students can easily submit suggestions and feedback about GRCC’s DL program.
- New Online Student Video Orientation – Jose Mora and the student workers created a student orientation video and Meegan Lillis added it to YouTube http://youtu.be/7IQ0rFpSbmE and http://cms.grcc.edu/orientations and the orientation site in Bb.
- Exemplary Course Training – Meegan Lillis facilitated a session for campus participants as well as 2 instructors who joined live via a trial Bb Collaborate session since they live in St. Joseph, MI and Weaton, Illinois
- Project 2 – Enhance Classroom and Instructional Technologies
- GRCC Digital – Meegan Lillis and Garry Brand me with an instructor from Occupational Therapy about potential of using video cameras for student assessments.
- Project 3 – Extend Blackboard Learn, Content, Community
- Collecting Research Papers Electronically – Bill Faber created an English Video and Meegan Lillis uploaded to YouTube. This could be used as a process for program review. See: http://youtu.be/FM9tsDcdqIk
- Blackboard New User Page Edits – Enhancements were made to the new to Blackboard page at: http://www.grcc.edu/bbnew
- Bb Drop In – DLIT held a drop in for how to add your syllabus to Bb and your contact info. This is the 2nd offering in the past 2 weeks designed especially for the AGC minimum use standards.
- Bb Training on Mashups – Garry Brand facilitated a session on mashups in Blackboard.
- Blackboard Team Meeting – The Bb Team met to review issues reported from the help desk, check on action projects, and plan for future service pack upgrades.
Other Work within Your Department
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from within the department.
- Sloan-C Conference – Jose Mora worked to process Sloan conference details.
- FPD CAP Meeting – Garry Brand and Eric Kunnen participated in the faculty professional development cap meeting. Discussed various topics related to logistics within CTE such as registration and improving attendance and also the new Director position.
- SENSE and CCSSE Report Meeting – Eric Kunnen met with Vicki and Pat to discuss the required assignment and work that was assigned from Institutional Research that the team had been assigned as part of Deans Council.
- CO Department Visit – Eric Kunnen and Meegan Lillis will be visiting the Computer Apps Department on Thursday.
- BOT Meeting – Eric Kunnen met with the ACCESS team to review and plan for the report that will be presented to board in November.
- ISIS Directors Meeting – Discussed new Director position ideas for job description.
- ISIS Project Meeting – Discussed plans for 2012 sessions to be offered via the CTE.
EOL Faculty Reports
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from EOL faculty in the department.
- Luann Keizer
- Registered eight faculty for Blackboard Basics Online, four faculty from prior weeks completed course.
- Blackboard IM Communication webinar recording made available in Blackboard course for future use.
- OHCC2 updated and made available.
- Tim Koets
- Providing a Bb Basics Overview at the Adjunct Recruitment Day on Saturday.
- Garret Brand
- Submitted article to GRCC Today for Monday, October 10 – http://grcctoday.wordpress.com/2011/10/10/educational-technology-conference-friday-101411/ .
- Submitted article to GRCC Today for Tuesday, October 11 – http://grcctoday.wordpress.com/2011/10/11/grcc-app-developer-to-present-at-etom-fall-conference/
- Submitted article to GRCC Today for Wednesday, October 12 -“Teaching Online? How is that going for you? – http://grcctoday.wordpress.com/2011/10/12/teaching-online-how-is-that-going-for-you/
- Submitted article to GRCC Today for Thursday, October 13 – GRCC Professors Share Latest Devices, Apps and Uses for Twitter
- Met with Penni (CTE) regarding web registration system. Will present work to FPD CAP.
- Attended Blackboard Team Meeting – https://dlitgroup.wordpress.com/2011/10/05/blackboard-team-meeting-october-5-2011/
- Attended DLIT Faculty EOL Meeting to discuss OHCC Readiness, ETOM Readiness, Blog Post Work, Winter 2012 Sessions, Tipsheets Work, miniCARPS, Session Outlines. Also discussed promotion and communications.
- Facilitated Blackboard Mash-up session and posted recording at http://raidercast.grcc.edu/relay/gbrand/2011/Blackboard_Mash-ups_-_Flash_%28Original_Size%29_-_20111010_04.08.33PM.html
- Created and distributed DLIT Session Checklist – https://bb.grcc.edu/bbcswebdav/xid-4544366_4
- Opened OHCC Orientation on Friday, October 7 and sent welcome.
- Conducted two faculty drop-in sessions.
- Meeting with Instructional Technologist/Designer to prepare for Exemplary Course submissions.
- Assisted faculty and submitted tracking forms to grcc.edu/tracking.
DLIT Traffic Table
|Mid-Week Ending||Primary Audience||Professional Development||College Meetings||Community Outreach||Consultative / Faculty Tracking|
|* Sessions offered through CTE||* Meeting attendee count for Meegan, Jose, and Eric||* External Attendance Counts, Conference Calls, Webinars||* DLIT Tracking Form for Dropin, Email, Phone|