Blackboard Team Meeting August 31st
In attendance: Eric Kunnen, Garry Brand, Mark Nordblom, Meegan Lillis, and Fred Bauman
Current Issues Discussed:
- Announcement email errors – It appears the message is not copied to instructor. Looking deeper, are students getting an email? It worked when an announcement was sent to a group of folks in an organization. It was noted Garret changed the name of his course and that was an affected course. A course he did NOT change the name, the issue does NOT exists. Need to look at this more, and generate a support ticket with Behind the Blackboard. It appears to be special characters, specifically the “:” symbol.
Fred Bauman sent out an email to the instructors with this potential issue:
Greeting Faculty, and welcome to Fall 2011!
We wanted to take a moment to bring to your attention an issue that you may or may not have encountered yet.
There have been a few reported incidents of instructors receiving error messages when creating an announcement that would also be sent to students in the class through email.
After creating the Announcement and clicking Submit, an instructor may see an error saying “E-mail not sent.”
We have isolated the cause to be related to the use of colons (:) or possibly other non alphanumeric characters in the title of the course.
For example: “GRCCClassName T Th 11:15am – 1:15pm”, could potentially see the error, where “GRCCClassName T Th 1115am – 115pm” should not.
We are actively working with Blackboard support to isolate the scope of this issue. In the meantime, if you are having issues with your course, please attempt to modify the name to remove colons.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact IT Customer Support for help.
Have a great day!
- Grade Question Issue – This new feature does not appear to work correctly as when the “edit” button is clicked the screen does not appear. Mark will submit a ticket at Behind the Blackboard.
- Discussion Board Slowness – Garret noticed getting in to the discussion boards for him, they take much longer than usual.
- PDF issues in Firefox (Later versions) – Issues have been reported for problems displaying PDFs in Bb.
- Patches will be integrated on Fridays as specified in http://www.grcc.edu/bbpolicies
- Pilots in progress and review:
- McGraw-Hill is installed on test environment.
- Soft Chalk
- StudyMate Class
- BB Colaborate