Weekly Updates – August 12 and 19th
The following updates are from the DLIT Department for the week ending August 12 and 19th.
This area includes international, national, regional, state, and local activities.
- Ask Dr C Blog Post – Grand Rapids Community College was highlighted in a blog post “Effective Lecture Capture with Relay and Blackboard Building Blocks in Learn 9.1” by Eric Kunnen that was posted on Blackboard’s blog. This post is focused on how GRCC uses Camtasia Relay for lecture capture along with how Szymon Machajewski’s Relay mashup Blackboard Building Block streamlines workflow. Here is a link to the blog post.
- EDUCAUSE Advisory Committee on Teaching and Learning – Eric Kunnen participated in a conference call with the advisory team. The agenda focused on our ACTL projects, updates from EDUCAUSE, and highlighting our meeting at the EDUCAUSE fall conference on Wednesday Oct 19th at 4:50-5:40 ET.
- ETOM Call for Proposals – Meegan Lillis created a blog post on the DLIT blog about the call for proposals for the ETOM Fall Conference that will be hosted at GRCC on October 14th. Here is the post: https://dlitgroup.wordpress.com/2011/08/16/educational-technology-organization-of-michigan-is-coming-to-grcc/
- Bb Analytics for Learn Product Development Partnership – Eric Kunnen participate in a conference call with Blackboard and UMBC on analytics.
- Blackboard and Quality Matters Webinar – Blackboard announced a partnership with Quality Matters at the BbWorld conference back in July. This webinar highlights the partnership and what opportunities exist.
- Blackboard SP6 Forum – Mark Nordblom attended the Blackboard conference call and forum. There are approximately 56 known issues that are being tracked. This forum is assisting in our work to better track issues that are identified at GRCC and within the community of users.
Department Action Projects
This area includes accomplishments or milestones regarding Departmental Action Project(s).
- Project 1 – Extend DL Program
- Student Orientation Work – Meegan Lillis, Jose Mora, and Eric Kunnen held a meeting to ensure student orientation information for online students is in place and accurate.
- Bb Orientation Site – Meegan Lillis updated the online student orientation site in Blackboard. Josa Mora will also reviewed the site for accuracy along with our student worker.
- OHCC Facilitation:Week ending Friday 7/29- 3 attended OHCC in person
– 14 attended OHCC onlineWeek ending Friday 8/5
– 3 attended OHCC in person
– 13 attended OHCC online
– 1 participant dropped
* The course is 15 hours and we estimate that each participant spends 3.0 hours per week.
** Tim Koets, Meegan Lillis, and Garry Brand facilitated the 1.5 hour campus sessions each week. I spent an additional 6 hours facilitating the online portion each week.
- GRCC’s Online Tutoring Highlighted – In the following video, the Language Arts Lab highlights the online tutoring options for students: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TXi8oy7IkE0#t=119s
- Online Course Development and Approved Courses Review – Meegan Lillis, Jose More, Misty McClure, and Eric Kunnen collaborated on tracking the current work of faculty developing online courses. The goal is also to hold a common spreadsheet to best track this information and this work is being led by Jose and Meegan and it will be ongoing.
- DL Accreditation – Work has begun on completing requirements for HLC regarding a new online degree program in Computer Apps. The following work is highlighted:Program
Distance LearningAccrediting agency
HLCDate of last accreditation and length of accreditation given
In process. This is being generated by the Computer Applications Department’s plan to create online Associate of Arts In Applied Sciences degree in Information Security. (A complete online program requires additional accreditation criterion to be met.)
Date of submission of a follow up report if needed
The “HLC Substantive Change Application Distance Delivery” dragt was authored by GRCC recently with Fiona Hert leading the work. The goal is to submit the application asap. The final revisions will be worked on with a team including: Ric Underhile, Eric Kunnen, Meegan Lillis, Diane Patrick, Garry Brand, John Cowles, and Bill Faber.
Date of next accreditation
– – – – – Related Work through the MCCVLC – – – – –
MCCVLC / HLC Collaborative Accreditation Initiative
As a side note, because GRCC is a member of the MCCVLC, we also have accreditation work completed through that collaborative. This work is outlined here: http://www.mccvlc.org/~staff/content.cfm?id=160 This work began in 2002 with the “Request for Institutional Change” being finalized and forwarded to the Higher Learning Commission on February 19, 2002.
Status of Collaborative Accreditation Initiative
With the acceptance of the second progress report (on assessment) in June of 2005, this collaborative initiative is completed. It is the expectation of the VLC that each college will continue to independently evaluate the online programs as part of the ongoing accreditation process. No further collaborative activities are currently planned.
- Project 2 – Enhance Classroom and Instructional Technologies
- Mobile Web Page – Garry Brand created a new resource to faculty as part of GRCC Digital Initiative at: http://www.grcc.edu/mobile
- Project 3 – Extend Blackboard Learn, Content, Community
- Blackboard Online – Luann Keizer has been recreating videos for 9.1 SP6 in the Blackboard Basics Online course and sourcing quality rubrics.
- Bb Diskspace Issue Downtime – Szymon Machajewski notified IT about a concern with disk space on the system. As it stands now, the system is at 98% percent capacity and if disk space is not added, the system will do down. Here is a current graph of disk space: http://www.grcc.edu/stats/reports/bbCMSAvailableDisk.php
- Photo Roster Update – Szymon Machajewski is working to update the photo roster to fix an error in printing.
- Bb Implementation Meeting – Highlights include:1. Disk Space Concerns
2. Bb Connect (Turning on SMS)
3. McGraw-Hill Request for Building Block & Configuration
4. Fall Readiness – Combined Sections, Automation, etc.
5. SafeAssign Updates and Issues
6. Bb Mobile Updates and Issues
7. Portal Cleanup, Modules, and Help Resources
8. Starfish Early Alert Configuration
9. Szymon’s Transition to Faculty
10. Test Bank Software and Blackboard Issues
11. Wimba Pronto / Bb IM Software Updates
12. Status of Tickets, Bugs, Updates to FAQMore information from last week’s meeting is here: https://dlitgroup.wordpress.com/2011/08/10/blackboard-team-meeting/ and this week’s detailed notes are here: https://dlitgroup.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/blackboard-team-meeting-2/
Other Work within Your Department
This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from within the department.
- New Online Degree – Luann Keizer is working, based on ProDean approval of Information Security Degree, on pursuing an online lab science course with Bill Faber and reps from Davenport, Ferris and GVSU to complete availability of all courses in degree program in online format (This will be GRCC’s 1st online degree!).
- Syllabus Template – Garret Brand, Ann M. Alexander; Carmela Zapata; Diane SPARKS; Steve Abid; Meegan Lillis, and Ric Underhile – Collaborated to develop a syllabus template and web page: http://cms.grcc.edu/syllabus
- NEEDED 351M Faculty Training Lab Updates – Bb IM (Pronto upgrade) and Camtasia Relay needs to be updated before the Summer Technology Institute. Garry Brand sent a request to the Help Desk to ensure this work is completed.
- DLIT Web Updates – The following pages were updated by the DLIT team: