DLIT Weekly Updates – July 30
The following updates are from the week ending in July 30th.
- NBC Learn Webinar – Eric Kunnen had the opportunity to participate with eSchool News, Blackboard, NBC News, and Cisco WebEx in presenting on GRCC’ s use of the NBC Learn Building Block. The session title was: “How to Deliver Relevant, Engaging Multimedia Content to 21st Century Campuses”. There were over 940 registrations for this event. [Linked to Extending Bb Learn Platform DAP]
Here is the Powerpoint that was used for the presentation:
- NBC Usage – Szymon Machajewski shared NBC Learn reports (from BbWorld’10) via Omniture Adobe Analytics that GRCC was the top streamer of video content. This is really the result of GRCC’s faculty in being adopters of technologies that are integrated nicely into Blackboard.
- DL CAP Meeting – The very first DL CAP team meeting was held. The initial meeting provided time to get everyone up to speed on the CAP. The next phase will be to work with the team to provide a College Action Project Update by August 3oth. [Linked to DL CAP]
- Follett Building Block Installed – The Follett Building Block that provides integration with Blackboard was installed on GRCC’s test server. [Linked to Extending Bb Learn Platform DAP]
- YouTube Blackboard 9 Video – Addition video content was uploaded to GRCC’s YouTube site. These video tutorials have been extremely beneficial in helping faculty with the transition to Blackboard 9. [Linked to Extending Bb Learn Platform DAP]
- bbFeeds Building Block – The bbFeeds Building Block written by Szymon Machajewski is now on Oscelot (open source network for Blackboard). The feature publishes class discussion board posts & announcements via RSS. The Bb community has responded positively to this new solution shared by GRCC. [Linked to Extending Bb Learn Platform DAP]
- Loginas Building Block – At BbWorld 2 weeks ago, Szymon Machajewski wrote a Blackboard Building Block while at the conference. This Building Block enables an institution to set up certain individuals to login as another user for the purposes of support. The tool is called “Login As” and it has already been published on the Ocelot Open Source Building Block Catalog. In addition, Western Carolina University has already downloaded the application as well as 21 other schools. This was also picked up by Malcom Murray from Durham University in the UK who is well-known and well-respected Blackboard System Admin in the community. Here is the blog entry. [Linked to Extending Bb Learn Platform DAP]
- ASTRO Downloads – An amazing 207+ institutions from around the world (including China, Australia, the UK, Saudi Arabia, and several K12 schools) have downloaded and are using the advanced reporting building block that was developed through a $25,000 Blackboard Greenhouse Grant. [Linked to Extending Bb Learn Platform DAP]
- Bb 9 Upgrade Communication – A communication went out to Department Heads, Faculty teaching this Fall, and Community System Users about the Upgrade. [Linked to Extending Bb Learn Platform DAP and the DL CAP]
- Podcasting and Video Session Offered – A podcasting and video session was offered through the CTE that provided faculty with information about the Wimba Podcaster and Camtasia Relay tools available to faculty. [Linked to Extending Bb Learn Platform DAP]
- OHCC – The online and hybrid certification course continues into the 2nd week with 18 faculty participating. Eric Kunnen, Bill Faber, Garry Brand, and Melanie Forbes are the facilitators. [Linked to the DL CAP]
- Steelcase Visit – Eric Kunnen will visit Steelcase University Learning Center to discuss new products.
- Starfish Early Alert – Eric Kunnen and Szymon Machajewski will meet with John Cowles and Starfish to review plans for the Fall semester. [Linked to Extending Bb Learn Platform DAP and DL CAP]
- Rave Wireless – A new Building Block was received from Rave for the new version of Blackboard. We are working to test this on our Bb 9 Test Environment. This Building Block enables students to sign up for text messages when faculty post updates in their courses. [Linked to Extending Bb Learn Platform DAP]
- Bb Non Credit Courses Added – Szymon Machajewski enabled the next calendar year of non-credit courses in Blackboard. [Linked to Extending Bb Learn Platform DAP]
- Bb Reporting Fix – Szymon Machajewski installed a fix to the reporting tool in Blackboard. [Linked to Extending Bb Learn Platform DAP]
- Bb Bug Squad for SP3 – GRCC was selected to be part of the Blackboard BbBug Squad that uses a crowdsourcing tool called UserVoice for SP3 9.1. [Linked to Extending Bb Learn Platform DAP]