DLIT Weekly Updates – July 23
Notice: The following format is now used for updates.
* What we’ve done – What has been accomplished [link to CAP/DAP]
The following items are updates from the Distance Learning and Instructional Technologies Department for the week ending Friday, July 23rd.
- OHCC Certification Begins – A new cohort of 18 faculty began on Monday. The facilitators of this course are Garry Brand, Melanie Forbes, and Eric Kunnen. [Linked to DL CAP]
- Blackboard 9 Basics – A training in the new Bb 9 system was held on Monday. Melanie Forbes was the lead facilitator with Eric Kunnen and Garry Brand assisting. [Linked to Extending Bb Learn Platform DAP]
- Blackboard 9 Wikis and Blogs – A training on the new blogs and wikis in Bb 9 was held on Monday. Melanie Forbes facilitated this session. [Linked to Extending Bb Learn Platform DAP]
- Website Updates – Eric Kunnen and Garry Brand met with Patrick LaPenna about the DL website. Patrick shared some early designs for the CTE. Updating the DL website and associated pages is not trivial and will take a considerable amount of time, resources, and effort. [Linked to DL CAP]
- 351M Furniture Meeting – Eric Kunnen, Garry Brand, Kevin O’Halla, Donovan Wallace met in 351M to discuss technology and furniture needs for faculty professional development. [Linked to Enhancing Classroom and Instructional Technologies DAP]
- NBC & GRCC Webinar – Eric Kunnen participated in a dry run for the upcoming Webinar (“How to Deliver Relevant, Engaging Multimedia Content to 21st Century Campuses“) offered through eSchoolNews on NBC and Blackboard. [Linked to Extending Bb Learn Platform DAP]
- BbWorld 2010 – Szymon Machajewski and Eric Kunnen attended the national Blackboard conference last week. The purpose of the participation in the conference is to share, learn, and discover best practices as well as to present on NBC Learn and Project ASTRO. Eric Kunnen presented a panel session on Project ASTRO – Reporting Success Stories and the Next Phase
The ASTRO presentation is available here. Eric also presented in a breakout session on Using NBC News Videos in Blackboard Learn to Enliven Instruction and Increase Student Engagement in Blackboard.
The NBC presentation is available here.
Szymon Machajewski attended the conference as well from GRCC. Szymon also attended the Developers Conference and Open Source Day. Szymon and Eric met with Vartan Akchyan and Peter Farkas from Georgetown University as they are interested in GRCC’s Photo Roster Building Block that was written by Szymon.
Here are a few more photos from the conference:
[Linked to Extending Bb Learn Platform DAP]