Skip to content
June 20, 2017 / Meegan

2017 Michigan OER Summit: Save the Date and Call for Proposals

GRCC Today

Members of Distance Learning & Instructional Technologies (DLIT) at GRCC are working in collaboration with Michigan Colleges Online to organize the 2017 OER Summit in Battle Creek this September. We would love to have participation from our faculty and staff as presenters as well as participants! The summit will be held on Friday, September 22, 2017, at Kellogg Community College.

The 2017 MI OER Summit is a statewide event focused on collaboration, networking, sharing and learning about Open Educational Resources and their uses in higher education. Faculty, librarians, instructional designers and technologists, and administrators are encouraged to submit proposals that focus on their work around OER. Topics of interest include models for adoption and use of OER, adapting or creating new open content, curating OER content, policies and funding of OER usage on campus, implementation of OER use in a classroom, open pedagogy – or inspire us with something new…

View original post 27 more words

July 29, 2014 / dlitgroup

ETOM Call for Presentations

Call for Proposals!

Attention GRCC Faculty and Staff: Are you doing something special to help your online students learn more? If so, please share your ideas by doing a presentation at the Fall Educational Technology Organization of Michigan (ETOM) Conference. The conference focuses on innovation in distance learning and educational technology. Plus, ETOM is looking to start a track on learning management systems, allowing colleagues to share best practices dealing with Blackboard, Moodle, Desire2Learn, Angel, or Canvas.

If you’re only interested in attending, please mark your calendars for November 7 and plan on attending ETOM’s 2014 Fall Conference. James Glapa-Grossklag, Dean of Educational Technology, Learning Resources, and Distance Learning at College of the Canyons (CA) will provide the keynote on “Open, Open Everywhere: The Why and the How of High Quality Open Educational Resources”.

Conference Details:ETOM Logo

ETOM 2014 Fall Conference
November 7, 2014
8:30 am – 4 pm
St. Clair County Community College
Port Huron, MI

Proposal Submission Details:

Proposals should be submitted online at and must be received no later than September 12, 2014 to be considered. If you are interested in submitting a proposal, subjects may include, but are not limited to:

  • OER
  • Social Media
  • Integration of Online, Hybrid & Collaborative Learning
  • Data-Driven Learning & Assessment
  • Students as Creators
  • Evolution of Online Learning
  • 3D Printing
  • Games & Gamification
  • Learning Analytics
  • Innovation in Classroom Technology
  • BYOD in the Classroom

The ETOM Board will review all proposals, and presenters will be notified by the end of September, 2014. All presenters will be required to register and pay the conference registration fee. The Program Committee may recommend that several similar sessions be combined into one presentation.

July 10, 2014 / dlitgroup

Join us for the miBUG Meeting on July 16th!

Have you ever wondered what happens at other schools in Michigan who use Blackboard tools? The Michigan Blackboard Users Group (miBUG) meets once per year at Blackboard World to touch base and talk about how Blackboard is working at the various institutions with various different set-ups and enterprise applications. This year, in addition to having a face-to-face meeting, anyone who is interested may join the meeting virtually through Blackboard Collaborate. (*Note: miBUG is open to faculty and staff at schools throughout Michigan.) If you would like to join the meeting, you may do so by connecting to the virtual room using the information below. If you are on campus July 16th from 4:00-5:00 pm, you can stop on by the Lettinga House and participate in the meeting with us in the second floor conference room! 

Here is all of the information you need the miBUG meeting next week. 

When: Wednesday, July 16th, 4:00 – 5:00 PM Eastern Time

Where: Anywhere via Blackboard Collaborate ( *OR* the Lettinga House 2nd Floor Conference Room

What: Here is the current agenda. 

  1. Introductions – Roll Call (institution, Blackboard version)
  2. miBUG Housekeeping
    1. Meeting schedule for Fall/Winter
    2. Conference(s) for 2014-2015
  3. Updates from BbWorld
    1. BUGLUG Updates
    2. Blackboard Service Packs & Building Block Updates
  4. Questions and Comments from miBUG members
  5. Other agenda items

The meeting will also be recorded, so you can always view the recording at your leisure. If you have any questions, please feel free to email Meegan Willi, the Instructional Technologist/Designer in DLIT and the miBUG Leader. 



August 27, 2013 / dlitgroup

Respondus Update

If you are a Respondus user (the desktop software which allows you to create and publish tests to Blackboard – not the Respondus Lockdown Browser), then this post is for you!

Since we have upgraded to Blackboard 9 Service Pack 12, it is necessary for you to install a patch in order for Respondus to connect to Blackboard.

If you are on a GRCC owned computer, the new software is available in the Application Explorer. (If you do not see the software, please contact ITHelp, or 616.234.HELP).

If you are on your own computer, and you already have Respondus installed then go here to download the patch:

If you would like to download Respondus to your PC, then log into Blackboard,

My Blackboard tab showing the Teaching with Technology subtab which is the fourth one over.
click on the Teaching with Technology subtab, and then click on Respondus and StudyMate (which should appear in the upper left hand corner).

Respondus and StudyMate module in Blackboard

Here you will be able to download the software and access the installation password.


If you need assistance using Respondus training guides and movies are available on Respondus’ website, and you may contact Distance Learning & Instructional Technologies at

July 3, 2013 / dlitgroup

Weekly Report – July 3

DLIT Staff Reports

This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from DLIT staff.

  • Eric Kunnen
    • Worked with Paul H, David A, and Kevin O to prepare a BbWorld presentation on the topic of learning analytics.
    • Attended Deans Council.
    • Co-facilitated the Online Faculty Observation Training with Meegan W.
    • Met with Jeremy O and Meegan W to plan and work through logistics for the Summer Technology Institute.
    • Met with Jeremy O and Meegan W on Faculty Professional Development assessment strategies in using Bb for tracking.
    • Met with Ric U, Meegan W, and Jeremy O on improvements for OHCC.  We discussed the needs for pre-requisites, the need to review the syllabus outcomes and objectives, as well as reviewed survey data.
    • Completed the EDUCAUSE Core Data Service survey with Kevin O.
    • Worked on the Summer Technology Institute workshop/session descriptions with Jeremy O.
  • Meegan Willi
    • Enjoying the Fireworks
  • Jose Mora
    • Helped faculty and staff with:
      • locking down the browser for outside test site
      • exporting and importing test
      • cleaning up content system
      • inputing final grades
    • Processed invoices
    • Processed MCCVLC Enrollment Request
    • Updated OHCC approved list
    • Enrolled students in honor courses
    • Worked on translating financial aid literature for “Preparate” event
    • Answered incoming phone calls
    • Answered incoming email
      • Can you help me get my instructors email address so I can begin conversations with her on expectations?
      • I recently applied to attend GRCC and my recent college refuses to send an official transcript as I have an unpaid balance with them. I was wondering about the possibility of taking the courses required for entry into baking and pastry online. Thank you very much.
      • I want to finish up my degree i started on years ago, but i am wondering if they are offered online.
      • Will there be office hours for instructors?
      • I am enrolled as a guest student for the 2nd session of the summer term and I have 1 class (business law BA207). I see on blackboard that 1. BA 207 is not in the dashboard yet. I am enrolled in a Distance Learning Orientation course  I need to know when the BA 207 will be up for me to view and interact with. Also, is the Distance Learning Orientation mandatory? I have been at Davenport University for 4 years and I am very familiar with blackboard and online courses.
      • It is all online, correct? no in-seat quizzes or presentations? Also, how can I figure out what book(s) I will need?
  • Garry Brand
    • Enrolled users in OHCC.
    • Made Late Summer OHCC available and started Orientation.
    • Reviewed OHCC Syllabus and provided feedback (below).
      • Changed the DLIT office location. I would modify and clearly label weekly outcomes (see #3 below)
      • The OHCC is designed for GRCC faculty who have some background in developing and teaching a class, as well as using Blackboard. Issues occur when participants haven’t taught at GRCC and when they don’t have the background with CARP or using tools in Blackboard.
      • Clarify the structure of the syllabus to make the course level objectives clear and tied more closely to the evaluation and assessments. The redesigned OHCC spends two weeks on planning, two weeks on developing and two weeks on teaching a hybrid/online course. To get more specific, we could say –
        Week One
        Develop and post an accessible online/hybrid course schedule.
        (1) Use template, CARP and academic calendar to outline your course.
        (2) Identify assignments & deadlines for your online course schedule.
        (3) Post online/hybrid schedule in your Blackboard template course.
        Week Two
        Develop and post an accessible online/hybrid course syllabus.
        (1) Identify differences between campus, online and hybrid syllabi.
        (2) Use a template, institutional and course policies to draft a syllabus.
        (3) Post online/hybrid syllabus in your Blackboard template course.
        Week Three
        Organize an online/hybrid course.
        (1) Draft a plan for how your online or hybrid course will be organized.
        (2) Identify appropriate content that will be added to your template.
        (3) Organize menu and content areas in your template course.
        Week Four
        Build online/hybrid content that complies with UDL and Copyright guidelines.
        (1) Create appropriate content to address and assess the outcome.
        (2) Add your week/module to the template course.
        (3) Build in opportunities for interaction and collaboration.
        Week Five
        Prepare and support online/hybrid learners.
        (1) Ensure course content and tools are accessible.
        (2) Ensure students have access to academic and technical support.
        (3) Welcome and prepare the learner for your online course.
        Week Six
        Facilitate an online/hybrid course.
        (1) Engage the online and hybrid learner.
        (2) Facilitate the online and hybrid course.
        (3) Assess student learning and provide feedback.
      • In addition to Blackboard Basics (on the latest version of the LMS), I think participants should be (a) GRCC faculty (including staff who are hired as adjunct) who have (b) completed the New Faculty Institute or Adjunct Institute.  All participants should have already had exposure to GRCC accessibility requirements and support.
      • Potential participants should –
        1. be proficient with the latest version of Blackboard at GRCC;
        2. be a full-time or adjunct GRCC faculty member;
        3. be familiar with the CARP;
        4. have completed the NFI or Adjunct Institute;
        5. be familiar with GRCC accessibility requirements and support;
        6. be proficient with a computer and browser;
        7. allow sufficient time in their work/life schedule to complete all course requirements.
    • SP12 testing on
    • Reviewed template and provided video feedback to prior OHCC participant.
    • Worked on accessibility issues.
    • Reviewed template and certified faculty member from prior OHCC (sent updated roster).
    • Correspondence with past participant about OHCC certificates.
    • Addressing issues of Blackboard Basics prerequisite.
    • Meet with DLIT staff regarding faculty EOL work.
  • Chad Sytsma
    • worked on further testing of the Bb SP12 update
    • prepped to assist with the Faculty Development session of Blackboard Basics
    • assisted Meegan Willi with the facilitation of the Faculty Development session of Blackboard Basics on June 27
    • attended the Online Faculty Observation Training session on June 27
    • assisted via email with Karen D regarding a quiz not being able to be added to her Blackboard course due to the course file size limit having been reached
    • began working with Jon Larson to meet the prerequisites for the OHCC class he is enrolled in
  • Cheryl Kautz
    • Continued work on creating faculty video tutorials. Most of the prep work is complete. Now working on the recording process. Touched base with Klaas about CC and best resolution.
    • Assisted Suzanne L with her syllabus for OHCC class. Discussed (emailed) the OHCC syllabus template and the college syllabus template differences with Garry.
    • College syllabus template:
      • Met with Ann A. on 6/27 to again go through the college syllabus template.
      • Converted the template to html using copy/paste and Web Page filtered methods and made adjustments to improve the conversion process.
      • On 7/2, suggested three additional, minor improvements to Ann A. for college syllabus template.
    • Discussed with Meegan again about the null alt text not working for MS Office applications. We agreed that it is best to recommend that faculty only include relevant graphics in their course materials, not purely presentation graphics. With relevant graphics, null alt text is not necessary and distractions are eliminated.
    • Attended Observational Training for Online Course session. I will facilitate the 7/18 session with Ann A.
    • Scheduled another meeting with Suzanne L to work on her course materials to make them work better for all students.
June 26, 2013 / dlitgroup

Weekly Report – June 26

DLIT Staff Reports

This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from DLIT staff.

  • Eric Kunnen (From last 2 weeks)
    • Attended ETOM Conference.
    • Prepared MCCLVC report for Deans.
    • Begin testing SP12 for Bb.
    • Met with GB and MW around Faculty Observation Training
    • Met with RU around HLC visit requirements.
    • Prepared presentation for EOL meeting on DAP, CAPs.
    • Facilitated Meeting with EOL Faculty
    • Updated
    • Deans Council Presentation on VLC.
    • Reviewed Providing Library Resources to Online Students Webinar through ITC.
    • Provided Nursing Dept with curriculum assessment and part of that includes information of our current use/access/functionality, etc of A/V.
    • SENSE review of data with Domingo H and Debra D.
    • FPD planning calendar for fall, winter, and summer with Jeremy O and Meegan W.
    • Participated on the Enterprise Analyst intereview team.
    • Attended the budget review meeting for ISIS.
    • Facilitated a math video meeting to troubleshoot video content with IT.
  • Meegan Willi
    • Facilitated the OHCC Friday session, June 21 – Final Presentations, we had 8 live presentations and 5 recorded.
    • Worked with Garry to complete rubrics for each OHCC final presentation.
    • Started Quality Matters two week online course – Designing Your Online Course, which runs June 19-July 3.
    • Finished Quality Matters two week online course which covered Alignment and Standards 2 and 3 of the QM rubric. This course ran June 6 – June 20.
    • Met with Heather M. for Blackboard Drive training, June 20.
    • Attended ISIS Leadership meeting and submitted notes, June 25. We discussed the Deans’ Council Meeting Agenda items for June 27th, the upcoming ISIS Budget Meeting on June 26th, Faculty Professional Development – the calendar and brochure project, and a few other things.
    • Met with Langston G. in Counseling and Career Services to troubleshoot one of the i>clicker sets in which the instructor clicker was not functioning, June 25. The instructor remote ID was no longer registered in the settings for the course, I explained it to Langston so he could help if this happens to that remote or any of the other three that are being used for Orientation this summer.
    • Met with Eric and Jeremy to calendar out the Fall 2013, Winter 2014 and early Summer 2014 (before July 1) technology Faculty Development Opportunities, June 25.
    • Attended a learning opportunity on June 26 – Flourish at Work.
    • Attended Departmental Budget Meeting on June 26.
    • Prepped for two Faculty Development sessions being held on June 27 which I am helping to facilitate: Blackboard Basics and Online Classroom Observation.
  • Jose Mora
    • Helped faculty and staff with:
      • Inputting final grades
      • Needed help with google docs
      • Cleaning up content system
    • Processed invoices
    • Processed reimbursements
    • Handled logistics for conferences
    • Made updates to Intake Form
    • Attended Professional Development opportunity- ESP Process
    • Worked on budget transfers to balance budget
    • Processed MCCVLC Enrollment Request
    • Updated OHCC approved list
    • Enrolled students in honor courses
    • Worked on translating financial aid literature for “Preparate” event
    • Met to go over department budgets
    • Answered incoming phone calls
    • Answered incoming email
      • For some reason I can’t find where to register for classes again.

This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from EOL faculty in the department.

  • Garry Brand
    • Facilitated Week Six of OHCC (online).
    • Facilitated Week Six of OHCC (campus).
    • Worked with Meegan to complete rubrics for each OHCC final presentation (8 campus and 5 online).
    • Finished grading and indicated certification status for Summer 2013.
    • Submitted report for Week Six of OHCC and notified DLIT, ISIS and CTE of certifications.
    • Created Late Summer 2013 OHCC (totally online), enrolled users, added facilitators.
    • Produced new orientation video for (Late) Summer OHCC.
    • Created new accessible version of OHCC syllabus and schedule.
    • SP12 testing on (inquired about slow server and received no response)
  • Cheryl Kautz
    • Continued work on creating faculty video tutorials.
    • Will meet with Ann A. on 6/27 at noon to review college syllabus template together.
    • Assisted Suzanne Lathan with PowerPoint accessibility questions. Provided 14 tips, via email on 6/20, to make presentations more universally designed and accessible.
    • Will meet with Suzanne Lathan on 6/27 at 1:00 at ATC to work together on making her PowerPoints accessible. We will implement the 14 tips that I emailed to her on 6/20.
    • Sent email on 6/25 to DLIT team asking to collaborate about null alt text not working in MS Office applications. I found conflicting findings from reputable resources and offered my findings, conclusions and asked for feedback.
    • Contributed an additional three test results and comments to the Bb 9.1 SP12 Online Spreadsheet Edit Grid.
    • Will attend Observation Training for Online Courses session on 6/27 to observe and learn and prepare for the 7/18 session for which I am facilitating.
    • On 6/24, watched the Blackboard webinar recording ‘What’s New in Blackboard Collaborate’ from 6/18. Received an overview, observed a demo, and learned what’s new with Bb Collaborate 12.5 Mobile, Web Conferencing and LMS Integration. It’s available on Android! (Kindle too, but not Nook?). Audio echo cancellation was added last year, so no need for external headsets! This was an issue with a previous version I tested. There are easy to access online and offline Mp4 and Mp3 formats within the LMS. Customization of a schedule session is easier too. JAWS 14 support.
  • Chad Sytsma
    • Bb SP12 Testing
June 19, 2013 / dlitgroup

Weekly Reports – June 12 and June 19

Notable Highlights

  •  DLIT Staff Reports

This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from DLIT staff.

  • Eric Kunnen
    • Enjoying vacation!
  • Meegan Willi
    • Facilitated the OHCC Friday session on 6/7.
    • Co-facilitated the online portion of the OHCC, ongoing.
    • Attended the Educational Technology Organization of Michigan (ETOM) Retreat at Higgins Lake, 6/10 and 6/11. Notes:
    • Met with Garry and Eric to discuss the Online Course Observation Process in preparation for the Online Classroom Observation Trainings coming up this summer through the CTE, 6/12. We began work on the PowerPoint for the session on 6/27.
    • DLIT Equated Overload (EOL) Faculty Meeting, 6/12. Notes:
    • Began second Quality Matters online course, Connecting Learning Objectives and Assessments, 6/6 – 6/20. I have 4 out of 5 modules done as of 6/19.
    • Began third Quality Matters online course, Designing Your Online Course, 6/19 – 7/3.
    • Participated in a Quality Matters webinar on Accessibility and Universal Design for Learning, 6/13.
    • Participated in Blackboard’s webinar, What’s New in Blackboard Collaborate, 6/18.
    • Assisted Pat E. with Blackboard Drive and the Blackboard Content System, 6/18.
    • Met with Jason S. from the current OHCC cohort on 6/19 to discuss week 5 and week 6 and what is needed in his course template.
    • Drop-ins and emails have been extremely slow this week. (My guess is the beautiful weather, and the timing – K-12 students are on summer vacation.) I had 10 items tracked: help with Blackboard Drive – it was no longer working on a faculty member’s GRCC computer, how to add a student to a course to make up work from previous semester, how to export and import exams from one course to another, how to answer student questions about a specific Blackboard assessment and the claim that only half the answers were saved, student error message question, issues logging into Blackboard after the outage, questions about a student receiving emails from two different math courses taught by the same instructor, and questions about SafeAssign.
  • Jose Mora
    • Helped faculty and staff with:
      • Uploading camtasia relay video with Closed captioning
      • cleaning up content system

    • Processed invoices
    • Processed reimbursements
    • Handled logistics for conferences
    • Oddered office supplies
    • Gathered data for Eric’s Dean Presentation on MCCVLC
    • Reviewed Study Away Process
    • Attended Perapate Hispanic Recruitment meeting
    • Answered incoming phone calls
    • Answered incoming email
      • I am attending GRCC in the fall, but can’t log into my account because I have forgotten my password? Is there anyway you can give it to me or do I have to make another account?
      • I am taking SO 260 with Cedric Williams online. He said there is a way to access the quiz to see what the questions were and the possible answers. However, I tried everything and cannot figure it out. Do you know how I can do this?
      • I am interested in enrolling at GRCC and taking online classes. I am wondering if I can set up a meeting with someone to determine a direction for me to go in and get back into education. If there is a contact I could be set up with I would greatly appreciate it.
      • I want to do online classes for the fall. I would like to get the addictions certificate, but it appears that all the classes are not online for the fall, am i wrong? either way im interested in finding some online classes for the fall to fill a full time schedule. when could i meet with someone to talk about this further?
      • I had issues logging in to the Blackboard last night and saw tere was an issue. Though it looks like it was resolved on your resolution center, I am still having issues. I have a assignment due tomorrow. Please advise.
      • Professor Mora, i am a student in your psychology class starting 7/1/13. I just came back into the country and had a couple questions about the class. Can we access the syllabus or anything now? Or will all of that come up on the first day of class? Also, do we just need to log into the June 13 – class during the week?

This area includes accomplishments, milestones, or comments from EOL faculty in the department.

  • Garry Brand
    • June 6 – 12
      • Facilitated Week Four and Five of OHCC (Online)
      • Grading and Reporting for OHCC
      • Higgins Lake Retreat (June 10 and 11)
    • June 13 – 19
      • Facilitated Week Five and Six of OHCC (Online)
      • Campus session of Week Five OHCC
      • DLIT Meeting with new EOL Faculty
  • Cheryl Kautz
    • Continued work on the faculty video tutorials.
    • Attended DLIT EOL meeting on 6/12 to discuss summer plans.
    • Recommended ten improvements to CTE related to accessibility for the college syllabus template via several email exchanges week of 6/10 (Ann A., Bill F. Jeremy O.). Recommendations were in the area of structure, links, tables and font. Also provided explanation of why recommendations were made along with directions on how to implement.
    • Spoke with Ann A. on 6/19 about the college syllabus template and what we need to do to finalize. Sent Ann my screen reader friendly calendar (not a table) to use as an idea for the optional portions of the syllabus.
    • Phone conversation with Meegan 6/19:
      • Observation Training for Online Courses –  I asked to attend session on 6/27 to observe and learn for the 7/18 session for which I am facilitating. Also need more information about the faculty contract, related to evaluations, to be better informed and able to answer questions.
      • Requested access to the dlitgroup WordPress weekly update blog.
      • It has been slow and there was no need to forward DLIT email this week to answer faculty questions.
    • Downloaded and installed the open source NVDA to help evaluate accessible content, but it caused several issues on my system and I had to uninstall. This was my second attempt; tried last semester also.
    • Created Quality Matters account and reviewed QM rubric.
    • Created CourseSites account and uploaded a course.
    • Contributed 27 test results and notes to the Bb 9.1 SP12 Online Spreadsheet Edit Grid.
  • Chad Sytsma
    • June 13 – 19
      • attended the DLIT meeting as a new EOL Faculty
      • worked from the DLIT office to begin to familiarize myself with the structure and setup
      • discussed with Meegan about attending the Online Course Observation Training that will be on June 27
      • studied the Derek Bruff Prezi for his GVSU presentation from this past spring
      • began Functionality and Usability Testing for Service Pack 12 release for end of summer in current course, contributed 16 test results and notes to the testing spreadsheet
      • Signed up for Quality Matters account and began studying the Quality Matters rubric